Clayton Truscott 11:53 a.m., April 19
Ballroom backs out
Hotel operator forces NRC to cancel scheduled public meeting on San Onofre
A public meeting scheduled to take place this Friday by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission regarding the proposal by Southern California Edison, operator of the long-idled San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, to resume operations has been canceled due to concerns voiced by the hotel where it was to have taken place.
At a meeting last month regarding the troubles facing the plant, over 500 pro- and anti-nuclear demonstrators, including many bused in by Edison, took over the St. Regis Monarch Beach Hotel in Dana Point and split into rival cheering sections as local residents, watchdog group representatives, and state and federal regulators debated the merits of pursuing a partial restart of operations at San Onofre.
Rob Koscelnik, general manger of the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton Hotel Doheny Beach where the meeting was scheduled to take place, told the Los Angeles Times that after reviewing the expected attendance hotel staff determined their facility was incapable of hosting the meeting.
A new time and date for the meeting has yet to be announced.
More like this:
- Public meeting scheduled on San Onofre restart plan — Jan. 23, 2013
- Tight quarters — Nov. 21, 2012
- Questions surface regarding San Onofre restart plan — Oct. 16, 2012
- Plan out for San Onofre restart, action still months away — Oct. 5, 2012
- San Onofre restart plan forthcoming, says plant operator Edison — Sept. 18, 2012