5 p.m., Aug. 25
New host for NRC meeting on San Onofre announced, but new space will only accommodate 400
The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has found a new spot to host its public meeting regarding the restart proposal on the table from San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station plant operator Southern California Edion, originally scheduled to take place last Friday. The meeting was cancelled by host Hilton Hotel Doheny Beach at the last minute due to concerns over concerns the estimated attendance of 500 would overwhelm the capacity of the property’s facilities.
The Hills Hotel in Laguna Hills, named yesterday as the new venue, reportedly has a capacity for only 400 meeting attendees.
The Commission has promised to provide a live webcast of the proceedings, but activists on both sides of the aisle, including environmentalists seeking a permanent shutdown of the facility and labor unions seeking to protect plant workers’ jobs are both gearing up to send a healthy contingent of live bodies to cram the meeting hall.
The meeting is now scheduled to be held from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, November 30 at the Hills Hotel, 25025 La Paz Road in Laguna Hills, CA.
More like this:
- Public meeting scheduled on San Onofre restart plan — Jan. 23, 2013
- Out of reach — Dec. 11, 2012
- Ballroom backs out — Nov. 14, 2012
- State Utilities Commission Delays San Onofre Probe Despite Community Calls for Action — Aug. 7, 2012
- Seeking Solutions for Nuclear Waste Storage — Sept. 12, 2011