Matt Potter 4 p.m., May 4
State Utilities Commission Delays San Onofre Probe Despite Community Calls for Action
A California Public Utilities Commission decision on whether to launch its own special investigation concerning the troubled San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station has been delayed once again.
Originally scheduled for a vote in June and postponed once to a meeting last Thursday, the proposal to study how the state would deal with the loss of generating capacity at the plant, idled since a minor radioactivity leak in January, as well as who should pay for needed repairs to bring the facility back online, the vote was punted once again, this time to be considered at an August 23 meeting. The Commission says the proposal requires further review.
Consumer and environmental groups have been pushing the Commission recently to take action. A letter drafted last week by the state Division of Ratepayer Advocates and endorsed by the Utility Reform Network, the Alliance for Nuclear Responsibility, Friends of the Earth and the Center for Energy Efficiency and Renewable Technologies urges the Commission to take action.
Meanwhile, the North County Times reports that the Riverside County Office of Emergency Services will hold a meeting in Temecula on Wednesday to discuss the challenges that the ongoing loss of power generation at San Onofre presents. While the meeting is primarily being held for the benefit of officials from southwestern Riverside cities, it is open to the public.
More like this:
- San Onofre closed permanently, says plant operator — June 7, 2013
- Nuclear Regulatory Commission will launch Boxer's requested investigation — Feb. 11, 2013
- Public Utilities Commission set to open San Onofre probe — Oct. 17, 2012
- San Onofre: Even Longer Shutdown or Restarting Soon? — July 23, 2012
- State May Launch San Onofre Probe — June 25, 2012