Clayton Truscott 11:53 a.m., April 19
Edison Reports Increased Damage, Backs Off Restart Proposal at San Onofre
Southern California Edison, operator of the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, has announced that more than 1,300 tubes that carry radioactive water and steam through the plant’s generators are so heavily damaged that they will be taken out of service.
With roughly 39,000 total tubes in the four steam generators that were installed at San Onofre’s two reactors in 2009, the new damage estimate is more than three times that reported by Edison International chairman Ted Craver to stockholders last week.
Edison also sent out a press release yesterday to clarify that it had not yet filed a request with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to restart operations at the plant.
“Recent media reports referred to June dates for the restart of Units 2 and 3 at [San Onofre]. However, those dates were provided by [Edison] to the [California Independent System Operator Corporation] as a purely administrative matter in March of 2012 because, for long-range planning purposes, [California Independent System Operator Corporation] requires an estimated return to service date to be posted. These dates are for planning purposes only and are subject to change,” says the release.
While the Reader has not reported that a request had been filed, we did note that Southern California Edison executive vice president Stephen Pickett told U-T San Diego that “we would present [a proposal for resuming operations] to the (Nuclear Regulatory Commission) in mid-May.”
More like this:
- San Onofre restart plan hits a snag — Dec. 27, 2012
- San Onofre restart plan forthcoming, says plant operator Edison — Sept. 18, 2012
- Will San Onofre Return to Service This November? — Aug. 1, 2012
- NRC Not Receptive to San Onofre Reactivation Proposal — May 8, 2012
- San Onofre Operator to Present Plan to Resume Operations — May 4, 2012