Jeff Smith 2 p.m., Dec. 18
San Onofre restart plan forthcoming, says plant operator Edison
Edison International, the parent company of San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station operator Southern California Edison, says it will move forward next month with a plan to resume operations at the plant’s two troubled reactors, which have been shut down since January.
Edison has been saying a proposal was forthcoming since early May, but backed off earlier restart dates as further damage to the reactors’ twin steam-powered electricity generators surfaced and the federal Nuclear Regulatory Commission signaled it wasn’t receptive to approving a restart date.
The Commission will still take months to evaluate the repair plans as presented by Edison, new chair Allison Macfarlane says.
“We will not let this plant start up unless we are absolutely convinced it is safe to operate,” said Macfarlane at a hearing of the U.S. Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, keeping with a request voiced last week by Senator Barbara Boxer.
Meanwhile, state energy officials continue to plan for another summer without San Onofre online and are making contingency plans in case the plant has not yet been cleared to resume generation activities.
More like this:
- Regulatory double-speak clouds future of San Onofre public hearings — May 15, 2013
- San Onofre restart plan hits a snag — Dec. 27, 2012
- Plan out for San Onofre restart, action still months away — Oct. 5, 2012
- Will San Onofre Return to Service This November? — Aug. 1, 2012
- Edison Reports Increased Damage, Backs Off Restart Proposal at San Onofre — May 9, 2012