Alexis Rhone Fancher 9 p.m., March 4
NRC Not Receptive to San Onofre Reactivation Proposal
Nuclear Regulatory Commission chairman Gregory Jaczko is not ready to consider a timetable for restarting nuclear operations at San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station, despite an announcement last week from plant operator Southern California Edison that it would soon present plans to resume operations as early as June.
“Any discussion of a date for the restart ... is clearly premature,” Jaczko said, adding that the Commission is still waiting on reports on repairs and conditions at the plant. Since the shutdown was deemed nonvoluntary in March, a restart would now require federal approval.
The Associated Press reports that Edison International chairman Ted Craver told investors last week that unusual wear was found in about one percent of the roughly 39,000 tubes in the two reactors’ steam generator tubes. Inspections available as early as February, however, indicate that over 800 tubes, or more than twice the number indicated by Craver, were found to have deteriorated by 10 percent or more.
An Edison spokesman told the Long BeachPress-Telegram last week that the region faces a risk of rolling blackouts this summer if officials do not allow the plant to resume operations.
More like this:
- San Onofre closed permanently, says plant operator — June 7, 2013
- Plan out for San Onofre restart, action still months away — Oct. 5, 2012
- Will San Onofre Return to Service This November? — Aug. 1, 2012
- San Onofre to Remain Offline Through Summer — June 8, 2012
- Edison Reports Increased Damage, Backs Off Restart Proposal at San Onofre — May 9, 2012