10 a.m., Aug. 30
Candidates Running Without Opponents Give Campaign Cash to Political Parties
For most local candidates, the June 5 Primary Election will be the end of a year's worth of campaigning. The candidates have spent much of that year looking for donors willing to contribute to their campaigns.
But for the three candidates without an opponent, among the few decisions they have had to make is how to get rid of the cash they raised.
Those three candidates-- City Attorney Jan Goldsmith, Councilmember Todd Gloria, and first-time candidate and future representative for District 5 Mark Kersey-- have all decided to give that money to their respective political parties, as well as to the small-government group Lincoln Club of San Diego County.
Up until 5/24, Goldsmith has contributed the most out of the pack. Goldsmith has donated a total of $41,392. Much of that ($25,000) went to Mitt Romney's Super PAC, Restore Our Future. The Lincoln Club was next in line, receiving $18,400 from Goldsmith's campaign committee. He also gave $750 to the California College Republicans 2012 Convention, and $2,900 to the Republican Party of San Diego County.
Kersey also gave big to his political party and the Lincoln Club. On 4/24, Kersey donated $10,000 to the California Republicans, and $6,250 to the Lincoln Club of San Diego County.
On the other hand, and other side of the aisle, Councilmember Todd Gloria gave $7,500 to the San Diego County Democratic Party. That is in addition to an earlier donation of $2,000.
Now the only question that remains is how the candidates will choose to unload the remaining cash. Goldsmith's ending balance is at $25,729, Gloria's is $84,357, and Kersey has $58,610 remaining in the bank.
More like this:
- Mayor Filner proposes cutting City Attorney budget. City Attorney responds with $2,500 gift to Republican Party — April 15, 2013
- City Attorney Jan Goldsmith spends campaign donations on trip to Florida and Las Vegas — Jan. 29, 2013
- The San Diego County Prosperity Institute raises $316,000 for slate mailers targeting Bob Filner — Oct. 29, 2012
- UT owner Doug Manchester gives $63,816 to Romney Super PAC bringing total donations to $118,816 — Aug. 30, 2012
- McMillins Give Big to Local Politicos — Jan. 31, 2012