Various Authors 6:38 p.m., Sept. 24
Political Parties Gave Last-Minute Cash To Mayoral Candidates
As the registrar of voters continues to tally the votes, I thought I'd look at some of the large, last-minute donations that the four Mayoral candidates received in the final weeks before today's election. The vast majority of those last minute donations came from the Republican and Democratic parties.
Not much of a surprise but the Republican party contributed the most last-minute cash.
Over the past three weeks, the San Diego County Republican Party has forked over last minute cash for Carl DeMaio's run for Mayor. Since May 16, San Diego GOP has given DeMaio a total of $130,000. The reasons as to why the GOP waited so late to give up the cash is unclear but according to financial disclosures the GOP has been giving DeMaio's campaign money once a week since the initial donation of $65,000 on May 16.
Other donations include $40,000 on May 25, $15,000 on May 31, and another $10,000 on June 3.
And that wasn't the only cash infusion that the campaign received. On May 24, DeMaio himself pledged an additional $100,000.
Bob Filner was also given some last minute cash from his political party, however, nowhere near the amount from the other side of the political aisle. Since May 24, the San Diego Democratic Party gave Filner $17,000.
More like this:
- U-T owner Manchester moves more big money into San Diego GOP — Sept. 3, 2013
- San Diegans could be last to know who's paying for Filner recall — Aug. 16, 2013
- Council to consider placing a cap on party campaign contributions — May 29, 2013
- Mayor Filner proposes cutting City Attorney budget. City Attorney responds with $2,500 gift to Republican Party — April 15, 2013
- What election? Filner and DeMaio continue to hold big fundraising bashes — Jan. 24, 2013