Jeff Smith 4 p.m., Dec. 20
Qualcomm billionaire Democrat Irwin Jacobs will endorse GOP's DeMaio for Mayor
In yet another unusual twist to what probably is the city's strangest election season in history, the mayoral campaign of Republican Carl DeMaio has announced that he will be getting the endorsement of La Jolla Democratic billionaire and Qualcomm founder Irwin Jacobs.
The DeMaio camp says Jacobs will not be present at the endorsement announcement, to be held at an 11 a.m. news conference at campaign headquarters, but GOP city councilman DeMaio will be there to talk about a new "bipartisan pledge" he is making.
As previously reported, Jacobs is a major backer of president Barack Obama, giving $2 million to a super PAC supporting the president, though he endorsed Republican district attorney Bonnie Dumanis in the mayoral primary.
DeMaio's rival in the mayor's race, Democratic congressman Bob Filner, had appeared to be courting Jacobs in recently weeks by backing away from fierce criticism of the elderly billionaire's controversial traffic and road plan for Balboa Park, a scheme backed by DeMaio.
More like this:
- What election? Filner and DeMaio continue to hold big fundraising bashes — Jan. 24, 2013
- Last word — Nov. 16, 2012
- Qualcomm billionaire Jacobs is Obama's second biggest donor, says Associated Press — Oct. 22, 2012
- Donors walking: Democratic billionaire Irwin Jacobs and wife Joan kick in $80,000 to defeat death penalty — Oct. 3, 2012
- Liberal billionaire George Soros joins cell phone magnate and DeMaio backer in giving big to pro-Obama super PAC — Sept. 27, 2012