Ian Anderson 6 p.m., March 7
Over 1.5 Tons of Pot Seized in TJ
Late Sunday afternoon, June 17th, a large marijuana stash was discovered in a Tijuana residence. 1,683.400 kilos (3,711.3 pounds) were seized from a house in the colonia Torres Altas.
One suspect was arrested during the raid, while another was apprehended after his accomplice gave him up to police. Leopoldo Aguirre Hernández of Jalisco and Francisco Villa Valencia of Michoacán are being held in connection with trafficking the drugs.
The two men have not confirmed who they work for, but it is suspected they were moving the narcotics for the Sinaloa Cartel. The drugs were sealed in 316 separate packages, prepared for smuggling.
Baja California has led the nation of Mexico in major drug seizures in recent years. Over two tons of marijuana were seized on its way to Tijuana earlier this month. Another raid netted 1.3 tons on May 16th inside the city.
The two suspects were put on display, along with the drugs, by state authorities for media on Sunday evening.
More like this:
- Big seizures — Nov. 14, 2012
- Five tons of pot incinerated in Baja — Sept. 13, 2012
- Shooutout Near Santo Tomás — July 6, 2012
- Another Huge Pot Bust, 22 Tons Seized at Checkpoint — June 21, 2012
- Over 12 Tons of Marijuana Found in Pacific Ocean — June 19, 2012