Jeff Smith noon, March 8
1.3 Tons of Pot Seized in Tijuana
Municipal police and army soldiers in Tijuana, belonging to the Grupo Alfa unit, seized a large amount of marijuana on Wednesday. The unit responded to a complaint about suspicious activity at a home.
1.32 tons of marijuana was found in closets in the home. The drugs were separated into 160 packages. The packages were numbered, and appeared ready for smuggling.
The Secretaría de Seguridad Pública Municipal stated that a suspect was spotted loading packages into a vehicle outside the house. Authorities reportedly chased the suspect, but he managed to escape.
Joint task forces between the military and different levels of police units have been successful with large drug seizures in Baja California. However, the lack of arrests made during most of the seizures has been criticized.
Even though marijuana is a cheaper product than other synthetic drugs that criminal organizations traffic, it is still a major cash crop because of low processing costs.
More like this:
- Authorities seize over one ton of marijuana from Tijuana residence — May 11, 2013
- Big seizures — Nov. 14, 2012
- Over 7 tons of marijuana seized in TJ — Nov. 6, 2012
- Another Huge Pot Bust, 22 Tons Seized at Checkpoint — June 21, 2012
- Over 1.5 Tons of Pot Seized in TJ — June 18, 2012