• News Ticker alerts

Eugene Davidovich, a medical marijuana proponent, has filed complaints against "Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana" and "Safe Beaches for San Diego Yes on D." The complaints have been submitted to the Fair Political Practices Commission, district attorney Bonnie Dumanis’ Integrity Unit, and the San Diego Ethics Commission.

Eugene Davidovich, the San Diego chair of Americans for Safe Access, filed the 70-page documents, which allege numerous violations against Scott Chipman, William Lowe, and other principal members of the accused organizations. Complaints include failure to disclose payments for mass campaign literature and failure to register as lobbyists, among other items.

Citizens Against Legalizing Marijuana was founded in 2010 by Chipman and Lowe for the purpose of defeating Proposition 19, a ballot measure that sought to drastically liberalize marijuana law in the state. Safe Beaches for San Diego was an earlier campaign that backed the local Proposition D, the third attempt to ban alcohol from San Diego beaches and first successful campaign. A statement from Chipman remains posted on the group’s www.safebeaches.org website.

“Mr. Chipman has a lengthy and significant history of involvement in San Diego politics throughout which he failed to disclose various campaign activities and appears to have created an illegal political slush fund” says Davidovich.

Chipman and fellow marijuana opponent Marcie Beckett have moved on to form San Diegans for Safe Neighborhoods. The group protests the existence of medical marijuana dispensaries, with Beckett herself having lodged nearly 100 police complaints against various dispensaries. While Beckett says she actually filed the complaint language once and attached a list of 94 dispensaries against which she was complaining, the city considered each storefront listed as a separate complaint.

Davidovich brought the complaints regarding illegal use of funds as San Diegans for Safe Neighborhoods and Chipman individually have begun backing the mayoral campaign of Dumanis. Chipman has also donated money to Lorie Zapf and other anti-marijuana candidates, according to the group.

Update (10:55 a.m. 7/19/11) - Clarifications were made to the original article, which had implied Davidovich was working on behalf of Americans for Safe Access in filing the complaints. He was acting as a private citizen.

• News Ticker alerts

Comments

travislane July 19, 2011 @ 12:10 p.m.

Do a google search on Scott Chipman and you'll see just how far this...behavior has gone. This guy and his various organizations (all composed of the same handful of people) has singlehandedly pushed their agenda on an entire city. His work on behalf of the church of latter day saints (mormons) is particularly revealing of his true agenda.

The worst part is this guy continues to serve on all these "committees", such as the pacific beach planning group where he controls the committee that approves permits for bars and restaurants. Unbelievable. And Faulconer and the city just looks the other way....(or worse yet--in cahoots).

Radical Uterus July 19, 2011 @ 1:19 p.m.

Power and control is the hallmark of corruption.

jway July 19, 2011 @ 2:03 p.m.

On June 17, 1971, President Nixon told Congress that "if we cannot destroy the drug menace in America, then it will surely destroy us." After forty years of trying to destroy "the drug menace in America" we still haven't been able to destroy it and it still hasn't destroyed us. Four decades is long enough to realize that on this important issue, President Nixon was wrong! All actions taken as a result of his invalid and paranoid assumptions (e.g. the federal marijuana prohibition) should be ended immediately!

It makes no sense for taxpayers to fund the federal marijuana prohibition when it doesn't prevent people from using marijuana and it does make criminals incredibly wealthy and incite the Mexican drug cartels to murder thousands of people every year.

We need legal adult marijuana sales in supermarkets, gas stations and pharmacies for exactly the same reason that we need legal alcohol and tobacco sales - to keep drug dealer criminals out of our neighborhoods and away from our children. Marijuana must be made legal to sell to adults everywhere that alcohol and tobacco are sold.

"There's something extraordinarily perverse when we're so concerned about preventing addicts from having access to drugs that we destroy the lives of many times more people, either through untreated pain or other drug war damage".

Radical Uterus July 19, 2011 @ 3:53 p.m.

You're last paragraph, was brilliant. You said it exactly how I wish I could have said it.

svtyone July 19, 2011 @ 2:51 p.m.

ok so what are the complaints these people have against dispencerys? i dont understand what nucense these cause over bars? alcohol is way worse and much more a nucense to everybody in the world not just the community but it goes on day by day but smoking a bowl is so evil.

golgi July 19, 2011 @ 9:57 p.m.

Chipman and gang want to "cleanse" this town, unfortunately most of us like SD just the way it is, or was I should say. Banning PB block party, then beer on the beach, then Kate Sessions& Floatopia, now dispensaries and bars. I think its time we said enough and send this guy back to Utah.

SanDiegoParrothead July 20, 2011 @ 12:35 p.m.

Boy this makes me laugh each time ....

The city can be heading towards bankruptcy, the city council is in cahoots with the downtown establishment, city worker pensions are skyrocketing ... and no one cares/comments on these stories.

But let them try to take away the MJ, and the potheads come out of the woodwork.

SDPatient July 20, 2011 @ 12:53 p.m.

My interaction with Law Enforcement (raid and trial) and the Medical Marijuana issue is what got me paying more attention. Although MMJ is an important issue for me, it is not the only one I am focused on. I agree with you SanDiegoParrothead that the city is not doing well, and there are many critical issues and reforms that need to be addressed. Pensions, developers, etc..

I plan on paying very close attention to City Hall and the way that City Business is handled and plan on doing everything I can to ensure we have a fair, just, government, that represents and has as it's primary focus, the interest of the community rather than special interests. I hope that my work will inspire others to do the same. We as a community need to collectively clean up City Hall and the County Administration.

Eugene Davidovich - eugene.davidovich@gmail.com

SanDiegoParrothead July 21, 2011 @ 12:25 p.m.

Eugene:

I'm encouraged and appreciate your reply.

Thanks!

SDPH

Radical Uterus July 21, 2011 @ 6:45 p.m.

I have been writing about my medical cannabis use and my experience with physicians for well over a year now. I have hardly just come out of the woodwork.

x76 July 20, 2011 @ 12:51 p.m.

Mormons are, charitably, insane and dangerous. Keep this in mind in the event any Mormon candidates are on any ballot you have a chance to vote on. Read Jon Krakauer's "Under The Banner of Heaven" -- it's a real eye-opening history of the Church of Mormon. Kind of like Scientology, but with Jell-o.

MDC July 20, 2011 @ 1:21 p.m.

Here's what I know. I used to smoke as a teen and quit for 10 years. I have recently started up again for medical purposes. I would consider myself lower middle class. I have a good job and I work 40+ hours a week. But I can't afford medical insurance. I feel sick after I eat sometimes, nauseous, light headed, etc. I can't wait until I get off work so I can go home to smoke. And I don't smoke that much. I smoke maybe half a bowl and I'm good. I feel good. Not sick, not stoned either. Just... normal. I know that I should see a Dr. for my symptoms but the reality is, I can't afford it, and this is working. There are lots of people like me who have weird things wrong with them and nothing's working or they can't address it because of financial reasons. This is why I smoke. I don't cause a scene, I don't smoke in public. I just smoke to feel better... to feel normal again. I also don't see the difference between this "drug" and the federally approved prescriptions which are recommended daily by doctors across the country. I do agree that MMJ should be available in pharmacies/drug stores exclusively and you must have a prescription. I'm not disillusioned, and I don't put it on the same level as Tylenol or aspirin, which is why I think it should be legal, but regulated. That's my 2 cents. I dunno. I think anyone who opposes it, should give it a try when they're feeling bad. Maybe they'll dig it.