Don Bauder 9:30 a.m., July 30
Medical Marijuana Panel Convenes Tonight to Discuss Actions in City of IB
Advocates for the safe access of medicinal marijuana will assemble in Hillcrest this evening from 5 pm to 6 pm for a panel discussion on their plan to overturn Imperial Beach’s ban on medicinal marijuana dispensaries.
Last year, Brian P. Bilbray, son of Congressman Brian Bilbray, whose sister is a medical marijuana patient and supporter, was the only councilmember to vote against Imperial Beach’s ban.
Activist and community organizer with San Diego Americans for Safe Access, Eugene Davidovich states the council’s actions moved forward despite strong opposition from residents, and medical marijuana supporters throughout San Diego intend to let the city's voters decide.
“[We have] partnered up with Canvass for a Cause because we are committed to moving patients' rights in the right direction by overturning the city's ban and replacing it with reasonable regulations,” Davidovich said.
The Imperial Beach City Attorney is expected to return a “Title and Summary” this week in response to a measure filed by Americans for Safe Access on Monday, March 5. Tonight’s panel discussion will include the signature gathering effort that will begin shortly afterward.
Davidovich explains their goal is to submit 2,000 valid signatures from Imperial Beach residents, exceeding the 1,014 required signatures by the Registrar of Voters to place their initiative on the city’s November ballot. They have until June 20 to do so.
Also taking part in the panel discussion taking place at Canvass for a Cause (CFAC) headquarters is attorney and co-executive director of Canvass for a Cause Rachel Scoma, who served as the regional field director of the Prop 19 campaign in San Diego.
More like this:
- Council sets date to discuss draft medical marijuana ordinance — April 18, 2013
- IB Councilman Bilbray endorses medical marijuana measure — Nov. 5, 2012
- Imperial Beach City Council Forced to Address Pot Dispensary Ban — June 25, 2012
- Court Will Not Hear Oral Arguments Over Motion to Dismiss Medical Marijuana Case — March 1, 2012
- Ocean Beach Planning Board Recommends That the City Use Suggestions of Medical Marijuana Task Force — March 17, 2011