On Thursday, March 10, San Diego district attorney Bonnie Dumanis announced her intention to run for mayor next year.

"I want you to be among the first to know that I’ve made an important decision about our future," read Dumanis's statement to her supporters and the media. The DA then hit the local interview circuit, making appearances and touting her being "confident my long career in public service has given me the tools I need to bring change, build consensus, and move our city forward."

Not so happy to hear the news of her mayoral run was a group of medical marijuana and social justice advocates who immediately pulled together to form a Facebook group called "Not Dumanis." Members include former marijuana advocates who were prosecuted by the DA's office and others who suffered the reputed "heavy-handedness" of Dumanis.

Eugene Davidovich, one of the No Dumanis coalition members and a medical marijuana proponent, said on his Facebook page: "The NOT DUMANIS campaign is ramping up. Dumanis will be held accountable for the many years of destroying families, innocent lives, and her undermining of the legal system through a monarchy style reign as District Attorney."

Comments

SurfPuppy619 March 13, 2011 @ 10:30 a.m.

I hope she is not elected Mayor-she has been an awful DA.

SDPatient March 13, 2011 @ 11:39 a.m.

In her service as the District Attorney for San Diego County, Dumanis has undermined the most vulnerable members of our community through her continued and misguided ‘fierce fight’ against medical marijuana.

Her fight has included raids on dispensaries as well as sick and dying patients’ homes, resulting in hundreds of thousands of tax payer’s dollars wasted on failed prosecutions. Dumanis has actively lobbied local governments for bans on dispensaries and has successfully influenced the County Board of Supervisors to adopt one of the most restrictive ordinances in the state.

Although Dumanis years ago ran on a platform for District Attorney in favor of medical marijuana her actions and track record since being elected almost a decade ago make clear that she continues to be an enemy to the medical marijuana community and those who use cannabis therapeutics for treatment.

We are strongly opposed to Dumanis for San Diego Mayor in 2012 and will work to oppose her continued oppression of the most vulnerable among us.

Eugene Davidovich San Diego Americans for Safe Access www.safeaccesssd.org

Fred Williams March 14, 2011 @ 10:09 p.m.

Eugene, I would like you to run for Mayor of San Diego.

Your presence at the debates should serve to remind everyone of what Bonnie has morphed into during her two decades in public office.

I'd like you to point out during the debates that while she was going all out to put medical marijuana providers in jail, she ignored blatant civic corruption all over the city and county.

Consider your options, Eugene. It's not trivial to throw your hat into the ring, and a lot of the media will treat you like a joke. But if you arm yourself with the facts, and speak truth to power, some will listen.

More importantly, it shows the world how Dumanis uses her political power to beat down the little guy instead of prosecuting those responsible for the financial meltdown, fraud, and well-known corruption in San Diego.

Best,

Fred

comments March 13, 2011 @ 3:21 p.m.

We must unite to defeat Bonnie. She is an AWFUL D.A. and will no doubt put our city back by at least 20 years.

SurfPuppy619 March 13, 2011 @ 5:56 p.m.

She has already put San Diego back 20 years, if she is elected Mayor she will set us back a century or more.

Gail Powell March 14, 2011 @ 7:40 a.m.

I am sorry to see that the best (and first) woman candidate San Diego can put forward to run for mayor is this affront to justice and fairness.

Bonnie Dumanis is nothing more than another San Diego good ole boy dressed in lesbian's clothing. She has no regard for the truth or for doing what is right. She only cares about herself and her political future. Everything else is expendable and she is the worst example of a manipulative, unprincipled hack that San Diego DOES NOT NEED in the mayor's office.

Don't be fooled, citizens of San Diego! YOU could be Bonnie's next victim, if she deems you an easy conviction to pad her "crime fighting" portfolio that she will surely tout in her campaign. She sent her goons after me, but I fought back. It was not easy but now she has me nipping at her heels. There are so many more worthy candidates out there who actually CARE about YOU! Don't be misled by her lies and drivel-you will get the kind of city leader you deserve! VOTE NO ON DUMANIS!

Stand up for clean government and leaders with morals and ethics.

Fred Williams March 14, 2011 @ 10:11 p.m.

"Good ole boy dressed in lesbian's clothing"

I want everyone to repeat this so it catches on. It is the essence of Dumanis.

Ponzi March 15, 2011 @ 8 a.m.

Define "lesbian's clothing"

I don't like Bonnie, but I feel bringing her sexual orientation into the debate is a red herring.

Ponzi March 15, 2011 @ 7:56 a.m.

Fooforever, I don’t understand the beginning of your comment: “I am sorry to see that the best (and first) woman candidate San Diego can put forward to run for mayor..."

Have you lived in San Diego very long? Women have served as mayor of San Diego; Maureen O'Connor, Susan Golding and (as acting mayor) Toni Atkins.

SurfPuppy619 March 15, 2011 @ 10:43 p.m.

Looking back over my quarter of a century here in San Diego, Mayor Mo is by FAR the best Mayor in my time period......at least that is my opinion. I think the worst is Sanders. I never cared for Golding, and she was in office when the pension bungles occurred, but Sanders is just a slimey, liar, dirtbag to me......

Ponzi March 15, 2011 @ 10:59 p.m.

Mayor Sanders is the dumbest and most useless mayor San Diego has ever had. I think the populace, albeit 80 percent of them recent transplants have given up on good governance. I mean we expelled Murphy and look what we got? Sanders. What a freakin idiot. The most inarticulate puppet...you could find. A lying, pension double-dipping, good for nothing...mayor.

Visduh March 14, 2011 @ 10:40 a.m.

Bahnee is a tough prosecutor when it comes to prosecuting some sorts of offenses, especially involving the weak. But when it comes to getting tough on local corruption (Yes, Virginia, there is massive corruption in Paradise) she's always AWOL. San Diego city hall needs to be investigated, and so does the county admin center. With her as DA those things will never, ever happen.

If you thought that the sequence of poor mayors of San Diego that started with Golding and then brought Murphy and now Sanders cannot get worse, well it can. Dumanis would be a total disaster. As the previous poster indicated, she's just another good ole boy in disguise.

Ponzi March 15, 2011 @ 7:57 a.m.

I only have two words to say about Bonnie for Mayor.

Fat chance

Gail Powell March 16, 2011 @ 7:43 a.m.

@Ponzi. You are astute and eagle-eyed because I omitted the word "lesbian" as being the first LGBT mayoral candidate put forward to the voters. I do recall Susan Golding and I even campaigned for Maureen O'Connor when she ran for office.

I know the Advocate is very excited at the thought of Bonnie and I do applaud there being a wide range of candidates with many different backgrounds and life experiences. My problem is not with any one's sexual orientation; it is that someone so absolutely morally deficient as Bonnie would even think she might try and be mayor.

San Diego has enough problems without a corrupt, unethical hack at the helm. Yes I know Mayor Saunders is no great shakes but I don't think Saunders ever made a deal with the devil for political gain. Once I get through a pile of scholarship applications I am helping my son with, I intend to sit down and concentrate on writing an expose on Bonnie's municipal misdeeds! I suppose I was so agitated in my comments about that shrew from the east, that I ommitted including the very important "lesbian" designation. Forgive me, Ponzi.

Ponzi March 18, 2011 @ 8:04 p.m.

Fooforever, no problem and thank you for the very nice reply! Being a long time San Diegan, I realize many people are transplants. I though you may have not known about the other women mayors. True, Bonnie would be the first lesbian mayor is she were elected. But we did have Toni Atkins as deputy mayor and other openly gay and lesbians on our city council. So the novelty has rather worn off.

I pay little attention to a candidate’s sexual orientation unless they use militant tactics. That turns me off. As someone who is not homophobic, I guess a gay or lesbian candidate doesn’t raise any emotion or concern in me. I don’t feel sexual orientation has any correlation with ability to lead. However, I voted for Bonnie as D.A. and, due to her performance and politics, I will not support her political ascension.

sanmateo March 18, 2011 @ 1:41 p.m.

I for one, and many of my neighbors, are extremely thankful for Ms. Dumanis' work in prosecuting pot stores who are violating the spirit of the state law that requires a closed circuit, no profit arrangement instead of this over the top blatant sale of pot in retail settings using the sick as a front.

I respect her for protecting our quality of life and our children.

Ms. Dumanis has established a long history as a fair minded, hard working public servant and would be a great Mayor for our city.

SurfPuppy619 March 18, 2011 @ 5:52 p.m.

Railsplitter, we all pretty much agree with you, but I think the term "queer" is generally deemed a derogatory way to describe gays. At least I think it is, I may be wrong.

Visduh March 18, 2011 @ 7:40 p.m.

SurfPup, if you do some checking you'll find that in recent years, many of the more militant members of the homosexual community have adopted the term "queer" for themselves. It WAS once quite derogatory, but now has a sort of in-your-face quality when used by those who proclaim their orientation. Strange, but true.

Gail Powell March 18, 2011 @ 7:15 p.m.

I agree with SurfPuppy619. We can despise the utter mendacity and worthlessness of Bonnie Dumanis without dragging her propensity for carpet-munching into the fray. However, just like Railsplitter, I have also received a taste of Bonnie's idea of justice-which is really a bogus persecution for the sake of looking like she's hard on crime. So I understand Railsplitter's rage and desire for (verbal) comeuppance.

We should all band together and get our Bad Bonnie stories out. If you go check on Yelp.com San Diego, Bonnie's supporters from Beantown Boston are now getting on there and trying to reverse all the "1" Yelp Stars her Bonnie Dumanis for Mayor 2012 group is getting. The idea of this reprehensible pol thinking she even has a chance at being mayor is preposterous! The fact that there are so many other much better candidates- waiting in the wings to throw their hat into the ring- shows just how out-of-touch Bonnie Dumanis really is!

Visduh March 18, 2011 @ 7:50 p.m.

It is most irritating that those who oppose her bid for mayor are automatically suspect as anti-Lesbian and bigoted. I shudder at the thought of her as SD mayor, and I don't even live in the city! I wish I could agree that her chances of being elected are preposterous. Unfortunately, she may be at this moment the leading candidate.

If anyone had listened to her comments when she's been forced to do an about-face on a high-profile prosecution, they could never vote for her again. Why, she and her office are never wrong, and they've always behaved in an ultra-ethical manner.

I voted for her first term as DA. I had no idea about her sexual orientation then, and still don't care. Foolishly, I was not really voting for her. I wanted "not Pfingst." What we all got was "worse than Pfingst." Buyer beware.

SurfPuppy619 March 19, 2011 @ 1:13 p.m.

Opposing public emplpoyee compensation results in the same treatment, that the ones opposing are;

1) jealous 2) haters 3) have "pension envy" 4) anti-gov 5) insert any wild label here

nobodaddy March 20, 2011 @ 8:40 p.m.

Really, how not elect someone who had such an impressive display of law enforcement with her public integrity unit....indict your enemies...