Bonnie Dumanis, March 6
  • Bonnie Dumanis, March 6

At the March 6 San Carlos Area Council meeting, San Diego district attorney Bonnie Dumanis asked if anyone in the audience was the victim of identity theft. One woman raised her hand; another said, "A little."

Dumanis said identity-theft victims included her mother and people in her office. She added, "A criminal signed my name on a good check. I give him credit for a sense of humor."

She recommended shredding and cross-shredding "anything with personal information." Cross-shred because "methamphetamine addicts put together" the pieces, she said.

The DA also spoke about human trafficking: “We're seeing gangs involved in organized prostitution," she said. "Opposing gangs are putting aside their differences to make money." Gang members go to high schools to recruit, so Dumanis advised the audience to have "conversations with their kids" and "watch who they're with."

Dumanis said that her office handles 40,000 cases annually and has a 94 percent conviction rate. Of those cases, 97 percent involve people who plead guilty without going to court; that led a woman named Sandy to ask about safeguards for people who weren't guilty.

The DA described a procedure that included asking the person, "Are you on medication?" and "Do you want to change your plea?"

She also spoke about the three-strikes law that voters modified last November. Dumanis said her office "pulled all the cases in San Diego" and found a 1996 case involving a man "who had some tools and served 16 years." After he was released, Dumanis said her office "made sure" that he received services to help with re-entry into society. "This guy didn't know about cell phones," she said.

Dumanis and a liaison for 53rd District congresswoman Susan Davis asked the audience to “like” them on Facebook.

Comments

Justin Powell March 9, 2013 @ 3:18 p.m.

This is the Bonnie Dumanis Facebook-related page to like: NOT DUMANIS.

None

Visduh March 9, 2013 @ 7:10 p.m.

Her reelection campaign is in full swing already, and this is just part of it. Doesn't that pic of her with the softened hairdo and sweet expression just do it for you? Uhh, no, it doesn't, but I'm not part of the brain-dead electorate that will be casting ballots for this harridan very soon. And it would appear that Susan Davis (a Dem's Dem) is supporting her (BTW, if you didn't know, Bahnee claims to be a Republican.) Strange alliances, but since Davis and Dumbo are both of the female persuasion, anything goes.

SkippingDog March 10, 2013 @ 10:11 p.m.

Props for getting the word "harridan" into a blog comment. Well done.

Bonnie will be reelected primarily because there's no one with any significant stature in the legal community to run against her. She has all of Bill Kolender's old downtown Republican political machine working for her, and she's done a pretty good job of keeping both her own deputies and the law enforcement community happy with her policies.

I'd like to see a more competitive race for our District Attorney, but San Diego doesn't seem to have the bench for it. She'll probably get elected as many times as Ed Miller did if she doesn't badly screw something up.

Visduh March 11, 2013 @ 8:02 a.m.

I fear you may be right. Yet with this early start to campaigning, she's revealing that she doesn't think it is a slam dunk. She will screw something up, if she has not already done so. I'm referring to that Sommers murder case that she abruptly dismissed after the evidence used to convict the woman was found to be bogus. There's some bad stuff coming down from that, and when it hits she could be in a very big world of hurt. The only person who might be able to beat her is Mike Aguirre, and I'd welcome his candidacy.

Justin Powell March 11, 2013 @ 12:43 p.m.

Let's not give Dopey Dumanis too many props just yet. A lot of her future is riding on what happens down in the South Bay with the school district personnel she "cherry-picked" to persecute for what Bonnie herself already does: "pay-to-play." If things don't go the Dirty D.A.'s way with that corruption trial in Chula Vista, it might not look so good for her come 2014. Let's hope the South Bay jurors see through the sham of this and do the right thing, which is always going to be OPPOSITE of whatever Dumanis is pimping or promoting.

bbq March 11, 2013 @ 1:52 p.m.

obviously justpow you don't live in the SouthBay, weather you like the DA or not we've got a bunch of self serving crooks down here who need to be shaken up a bit. between Sweetwater, Southwestern and San Ysidero I'm thinking Chicago in the thirties or Detroit from 1975 til 2010... Political self serving machines, although pretty penny ante down here.

Visduh March 11, 2013 @ 3:43 p.m.

In that So County corruption for a change the DA is doing the right thing. Should the net be wider? Probably, and before this is over, it may be an even bigger list of players than are now under indictment. But saying, as I think you are, that jurors doing the "right thing" will acquit, shows your utter misunderstanding of the mess.

Justin Powell March 12, 2013 @ 1:34 p.m.

I understand where bbq & Visduh are coming from and I would normally agree that corruption is something to be condemned & fought against. I know I would be pissed if I lived in the South Bay and this monkey business was going on in my kid's school district..

But I also must caution those who hold out hope that Bonnie Dumanis and her jack-booted thug assistant D.A.'s will come riding to their rescue. Unfortunately, hopeful South Bay residents have made their bed with Bonnie in attempt to clean things up and they will have to lay in it with her. If the Sweetwater defendants have any kind of decent lawyers, it will become apparent that there have been other "pay-to-play" scandals all around town that Bonnie has not even blinked an eye at, yet she goes all out on the Hispanics in the South Bay. That is what's known as "selective prosecution." I wish every crook using our kids to fatten their wallets and cheat the system could be locked up. But do not think a despicable, tainted, Machiavellian hack like Dumanis will be the one to save you. I hope the Chula Vista jurors see through all this B.S. & help get rid of this incompetent scourge who dared to use their problems as publicity for her failed mayoral campaign.

bbq March 12, 2013 @ 2:33 p.m.

JustPow and others as a great man once told me, Yes, our legal system is F'd up due to how it's used and abused, but it is realitively transpearant and we as citizens get to see all sides.
The DAs office is much like DA Carlton Burger's in Perry Mason, they lost a lot of cases to the defendant and Perry, but they still made us look at the situation around us and revealed a lot of dirty laundry. The law should never be used to get even or to promote oneself, it should be used to guide society and ourselves to a level of agreed acceptability of our actions, thus a realitive calm and status quo. Sounds kind of utopian, but that's how I interpret some of my fathers teachings to me, My dad Professional Engineer, Attorney, Real Smart Guy. BBQ