Don Bauder 3:30 p.m., April 30
Coronado’s hot dog fanatics are just gonna have to wait a little bit longer.
That’s what co-owner Kirsten Bertz says. The tiny slice of space between Postal Annex and Wag’n Tails on Orange Avenue promises an upgrade in dogs like the island has never known.
Nice irony that Delux Dogs (943 Orange Avenue, 619-319-5338) is right next to Wag'n Tails, the (real) dog place.
Why the delay? Bertz and her business partner James McGee have hired top designer, Paul Basile (he designed Craft & Commerce) to work on this, and he wants to get it right.
Coronado's new hot dog place, with designer Paul Basile looking on
"It's quite a challenge, working in this narrow space," he says. "But I love it. I start off from the kitchen and work forward."
He's already discovered nice brick columns that have been concealed for decades.
Look for an opening late March.
This story originally had factual errors, which I have corrected.
More like this:
- Gourmet, you say? — Aug. 14, 2014
- Opening next Monday: Ogawashi, at… Oga Wa Shi? — Aug. 21, 2012
- National Hot Dog Month: It Ain't Over Till I Say So — Aug. 2, 2012
- Arrow Wars on Fifth — Feb. 8, 2012
- Winds of Change in Coronado — Nov. 18, 2011