All over California, there's big news.

The San Francisco Bay Bridge had a chunk fall off causing a closure.

In LA, a shooting at a synagogue. A man opened fire and shot two people as they arrived to worship this morning.

But what is it I'm going to blog about?

You guessed it. All the way over to the east coast, where rookie Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was shown eating a hot dog on the sidelines of their game last weekend.

He apologized, saying he had an upset stomach and needed to eat something.

Now, I'm no doctor. I'm assuming though, that eating a hot dog with mustard, would be like having a pain in your eye and using a dash of salt sprinkled into the retina.

He ended up donating 500 hot dogs and hamburgers to a soup kitchen, so that's nice.

And he'll probably do an endorsment for Oscar Meyer in the future.

I still think that's not as bad as Charger Phillip Rivers yelling at people in the crowd. Or Charles Barkley, and all the antics he pulled (although, when he dove for a ball into the crowd, and ate a persons popcorn as he sat on his lap...that was kinda cute).

I'm just amazed that these athletes have no clue what acceptable behavior is when all the cameras and scrutiny is on 'em.

Larry Johnson got into trouble for something every athlete seems to be getting into trouble for. Tweeting. No, not during the game, surprisingly enough. But afterwards, and talking about his coach never having played the sport. He also talked about how his dad is a much better coach (but obviously, not better at raising a son who knows right from wrong).

Johnson also used some gay slurs a few times, and the team has suspended him.

Even former football players are getting into the act. Bob Griese, the former Dolphin QB, was working a race. Not sure why, but he was.

People were looking for a driver. I believe someone from Spain. He has a Latino sounding last name, and Griese thought it would be funny to say "He's probably out eating a taco."

Not funny. Just as it wasn't funny when that idiot golfer (I forget who), made comments about what Tiger Woods would pick for dinner the following year.

I'd also like to point out that, if there's ever a person in the NFL that sounds like he'd be eating tacos, it would be Mark Sanchez. And it was a hot dog he was eating on the sidelines.

I'm wondering what these athletes do if they want something other than Gatorade to wash it down with. I mean, really...can't a homie get a Dr. Pepper up in this place?!

I'll end with this:

Take all the meat (or whatever that stuff is), out of your hot dog this weekend. That way you'll have a happy, hollow weenie.

More like this:

Comments

PistolPete Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:16 p.m.

First off Josh,it's PHILIP(one L,not two)Rivers. I just call him Phylis Rivers or Philip"cry me a"Rivers. I'm not even a fan of the team and I know how to spell the guy's name. Anyhoo,Mark Sanchez eating a hot dog is being blown out of proportion. It was really no big deal. Had he fired up the Weber,that would be something altogether different. People have no lives nowdays. It would be humorous if these same people criticizing him weren't removing the speck from their own eye first.

Same thing with Larry Johnson. The guy's an idiot. Waaaaa. So he used a gay slur. So what? Get over yourselves,America.

Bob Griese sounds like a real human. Real humans say things they refret. S*** happens. Cry yourself a river,build yourself a bridge and get over it.

I'd laugh if he had washed down his dog with an ice cold frosty beer. America needs to remove the stick from it's ass.

aquarimary Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:28 p.m.

I remember when the late Ken Caminetti ate a Snickers bar after having stomach flu & then hit a home run! He wasn't on camera, but he did give Snickers props when asked to comment.

PistolPete Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:56 p.m.

Very cool! It's funny. My GF calls me Snickers.....

or Oct. 29, 2009 @ 1:59 p.m.

Josh, a couple corrections/additions for you. Griese wasn't working a race. he was working a college game on ESPN and their was a promo for the NASCAR race, the driver is Juan Pablo Montoya who is Columbian and NASCAR currently airs on said ESPN network. The golfer was Fuzzy Zoeller and the comment was about Tiger not ordering fried chicken or collard greens for the Masters Champions Dinner the following year. He also happened to be drinking at he time. As for the the hot dog, well I guess it depends on the individual. I personally prefer spicy mexican food. Yeah, I said spicy mexican food. If i have an upset stomach, but can keep food down, that does the trick. On occasion, I have also been known just to have a feww spoonfulls of spicy salsa or take a couple swigs from a bottle of hot sauce. Works every time.

Crissyst Oct. 29, 2009 @ 5:05 p.m.

Haha Josh, cute joke. Well, if he's a rookie can't he get a little slack? I agree with PistolPete, funny, too btw.. if he had been grilling his food on the sidelines that would be a bit out of touch or self indulgent?

Wow, Ken Caminiti, R.I.P., juicer. Oh wait, was he a coke head or doing steroids?? I apologize for not knowing the details.

KarenBP Oct. 29, 2009 @ 6:46 p.m.

And leave it to the vegetarian to spell it right:

Oscar Mayer

Vegan, tasty Lightlife brand "Smart Dogs" are so much, well, smarter... They sell 'em at Trader Joe's, pretty reasonable.

Good read, Mr. Board.

rickeysays Oct. 29, 2009 @ 7:45 p.m.

Crissy, re: Caminiti, both. Josh re: Johnson, his Dad totally criticized his son's comments and said he was an idiot.

magicsfive Oct. 29, 2009 @ 9:43 p.m.

hmm...all i really want right now is a NOT-DOG (vegetarian)

Crissyst Oct. 29, 2009 @ 10:16 p.m.

Thanks, rickeysays. ;-)

Hey, I'm a vegetarian too. Nice to meet you, KarenBP and magicsfive. ;-D

Josh Board Oct. 30, 2009 @ 3:38 p.m.

Damn vegetarians and vegans taking over my thread! I won't stand for it, I tell you (walks to kitchen to eat a taco...ONE WITH ground beef!)

Oh, regarding the candy bar, I don't think it's as bad if a player is eating a candy bar, some sunflower seats, or whatever.

It's the idea that you're paid millions of dollars to win football games. People lose their job, if you don't perform well. You should be focused, or at the very least, APPEAR to be focused, on what's going on on the field.

David Dodd Oct. 30, 2009 @ 3:56 p.m.

I'm still not understanding what's wrong with Sanchez crushing a hot dog on the sidelines. If he would have thrown up, no one would have said a word, but mac on a hot dog and everyone comes undone? Weird.

Josh Board Oct. 30, 2009 @ 4:57 p.m.

Well refried, it's like I said. You're paid millions. People already hate the fact that teachers work a lot harder, for a lot less. To name one profession. And to stick with that profession, what if a teacher was eating a hot dog while the kids were taking a test. I'm sure that would be a big no-no.

David Dodd Oct. 30, 2009 @ 5:26 p.m.

If the student is eating a hot dog while taking a test, probably not good. If a quarterback is eating a hot dog in the huddle, probably not good. If a teacher is eating a hot dog, or like my old high school algebra teacher used to do, goes outside and and has a cigarette while I am taking a test, what's the big deal?

If Michael Jordan sat on the bench in the third quarter, with his team on top by twenty, and ate a hot dog, why should anyone care?

Genocide in Rwanda? Oh, that's not a trending issue, no one cares. Marc Sanchez eats a hot dog on the sidelines of a lopsided victory? Oh, yeah! Give us more of that!

Josh, I'm simply pointing out that this should have been a non-story. The depths of the Raiders suckage is far more compelling than is Sanchez's hot dog.

Josh Board Nov. 2, 2009 @ 12:08 p.m.

Well...Jeff Spicoli could eat pizza while taking a test!

HOTDOG UPDATE: Hebrew National Hot Dogs gave fans that had ticket stubs from the last Jets game, a free pack of kosher wieners.

I always laugh when companies do things like this. I have friends that will say stuff like "Can you believe Jack in the Box is giving away tacos?" And I always say "Are you joking? Those things probably cost 10 cents. And they get more publicity than anything else."

Remember Dr. Pepper and the Guns N Roses album? So what. They gave out a few cans of soda for free. The publicity they got was worth millions.

I'm guessing the hot dog story won't get that big, but still. It's worth it for them to dole out a few packages to some fans that probably have to go to their online website and fill out a bunch of forms and get on their email list.

Josh Board Nov. 3, 2009 @ 2:05 a.m.

Speaking of "hot doggin it"...did Shawn Merriman REALLY have to bring back his goofy Lights Out dance? He sacked the worst QB in football. Heck, possibly the worst QB in Raiders history (which includes Todd Maranovich!)

And Merriman hadn't been doing much all year, aside from partying with Tia Tequilla.

I swear, the Chargers are really trying all they can to make me root against 'em.

KarenBP Nov. 4, 2009 @ 12:19 a.m.

V E G E T A R I A N !

Hey, once i was driving in Hillcrest and i was behind some cute chick's SUV with a bumper sticker that read "I'm a vaginatarian."

Josh Board Nov. 4, 2009 @ 1:46 a.m.

There's no "i" in 'vegetarian'. Oh wait, there is. But there's also 'tar' in it, too. And that's what those damn garden burgers taste like!