I was all set to do a blog on Rush Limbaugh, and how he was denied a chance to own an NFL team. But another story involving something filled with hot air came up.

It involved a boy who supposedly climbed into a helium filled, silver balloon. It became untethered, and the boy was soaring at 25 miles per hour…towards the Denver airport.

I was watching it live, laughing. It was better than one of those police chases all the stations cut to live.

I called my girlfriend who said, “How can you be laughing? There’s a boy inside of that.”

I said, “Yeah, that’s true. And I hope he’s okay. But, I’m wondering how a 6-year-old boy is outside, unsupervised, with idiotic parents that make hot air balloons in their backyard.”

I mean, I saw a neighbor in North Park that called the cops on someone that had a camper in their front yard. It was ticketed, too!

It’s the same as the folks that have wild animals as pets, or hell, even pit bulls. They kill their baby and everyone is shocked.

After hours of the balloon, which looked like a UFO from a low-budget movie all in silver…the thing slowly descended. Cops, ambulances, and other safety personnel…had been following the silver muffin to make sure the child would be okay.

My friend called and said, “Hey…this family is the same one that was on the reality show Wife Swap. They’re insane. They let their kids do anything. They’re the worst parents, and their kids behave so poorly.”

I was listening to my friend tell me all this, while people from places like NASA were being called, trying to decide how to get this thing to land without hurting the child inside.

There was talk of weights being put on the top of it. About a helicopter flying nearby, with a loudspeaker, telling the kid how to puncture the thing so that helium would slowly leak out and the balloon would slowly descend.

I thought of all kinds of jokes.

If the thing flew near the White House, would it be shot out of the sky? And could even that hurt Obamas approval rating? I wondered if when the boy landed safely, would everyone laugh as the father yells “You’re grounded!”

Taking away the childrens copy of the animated film "Up".

Even the kids name…it’s Falcon. Gotta be worth a few jokes there.

The father claimed to have built this thing because he’s an amateur scientist and storm chaser, and it was to be used in hurricanes (I have no clue as to how).

The child is safe. He pulled an Anne Frank and hid in the attic. And, from what my friend said about how the kids acted on Wife Swap, I’m guessing they learned nothing from the experience. And I’m sure the parents didn’t either.

So, how about fining the family for all the rescue vehicles and police that were involved? Maybe they’ll learn the hard way.

Comments

psychopharm Oct. 15, 2009 @ 5:01 p.m.

I'm bummed I missed this on the news!

I am so sick of the car chase. I just saw a picture though and it looks like a floating package of Jiffy Pop.

Hope the authorities involved charge the family for wasting resources.

psychopharm Oct. 15, 2009 @ 5:27 p.m.

There are parents who allow their kids to do whatever they want and make excuses for their behavior...they are curious, they will be the next inventor, blah, blah, blah.

The truth is that these parents don't want to do what they are supposed to do...raise their children to be responsible adults.

Saying no or grounding a child is not child abuse.

It actually doesn't surprise me that this kid was a child with poor judgement, he learned from example. And, I'm sure that we will hear from these parents more excuses why there was nothing wrong with what he did. Well, if there wasn't anything wrong with his behavior, then why was he hiding in the attic?

KarenBP Oct. 15, 2009 @ 6:59 p.m.

The Fifth Dimension never had their song come to life so well as through this story. Well done. Maybe their copy of "Toys in the Attic" (Aerosmith's only decent album. Ever.) was brainwashed into this kid's psyche...

Josh Board Oct. 15, 2009 @ 7:20 p.m.

Nice Aerosmith call. That album is amazing. I don't remember, but isn't their debut/self-titled album good? I know it had Dream on, but can't remember the rest.

Anyway...yeah, I can never figure out how the authorities choose to charge. If you go mountain climbing and need a rescue, it seems to be 50/50.

To me, this situation certainly warrants the parents being charged financially.

No adult supervision. Building something that is dangerous for kids in the first place, etc etc.

PistolPete Oct. 15, 2009 @ 8:20 p.m.

This is why we need to start buying the industrial sized bottle of chlorine for the gene pool from now on.....

shizzyfinn Oct. 15, 2009 @ 9:39 p.m.

Another pop culture link is the episode of The Simpsons in which the town rallies when Bart was thought to be stuck at the bottom of a well, when in reality Bart was at home, laughing safely.

Also, the Bruce Willis flick 12 Monkeys had a bit in which a supposed well boy turned out to be hiding in a barn.

Josh Board Oct. 16, 2009 @ 12:19 a.m.

Yeah, someone posted that on Facebook. 12 Monkeys was such a great film.

amyliz Oct. 16, 2009 @ 8:37 a.m.

My theory is the parents wanted their balloon rescued for them, so they stuffed the kid in the attic, told him if he was real quiet for about 4 hours they'd give him a whole bag of m&ms and then they called the cops, told a whopper of a story, so that the balloon would be returned safely.

Remember the little girl that died while flying a plane a few years ago? Her parents said they were okay with it because she had always wanted to fly a plane and it was her dream. She was 10, I think. When I was 10 I wanted to have my own pony. Should my parents have let me have one and then made me go get a job to pay for its boarding at the stable and bales of hay? I think maybe so.

Gotta go put a guilt trip on my mom.

Josh Board Oct. 16, 2009 @ 9:14 a.m.

Thank you, amy. I totally agree.

I said the same thing about the 10-year-old...that the parents should be charged.

The police are now saying that they won't charge the family for any of the rescue efforts. Yet, it's coming out...that the parents probably did plan all this, as the kid had a story in a CNN interview where he said "because you guys told me this was for a show."

Then when the kid was questioned more, he got nervous and threw up.

Jimmy Kimmel said last night that they had mutual friends, and that friend said this guy told Kimmel if he gave him $25,000 he'd put his name on a rocket and send it out to space. Kimmel laughed and said "I should've talked him down to $5,000."

He also showed clips of that 6-year-old kid, calling him mom a "dumb a**".

He then said "Now I'm starting to see why the kid would want to climb on a balloon and escape from them!"

Josh Board Oct. 16, 2009 @ 9:40 a.m.

This just in: They say this family actually contacted the media FIRST, before calling polie or 911, to report that they "thought" their child was in the balloon.

I swear, if this family makes money off this, and isn't charged for anything...our society is idiotic. We have no one to blame but ourselves.

GalyaK Oct. 16, 2009 @ 11:53 a.m.

Well, that's the way of making money this days. I bet 5$ they will make a show about kids flying in balloons pretty soon here. Look how many super stars for absolutely no reason/talent we have around. You just have to do something really stupid and call the media to see it. Maybe I should try to jump off Coronado bridge but come out with a way of surviving it first and call the media to watch it. I could be a motivational speaker afterwords! Man that movie "Idiocracy" so seams like a real life story...

Josh Board Oct. 17, 2009 @ 1:47 a.m.

That's why I wished Idiocracy was a better movie. It was such a great premise.

Yeah, this family tried pitching a reality show about themselves to TBS previously, and were turned down.

Also heard today, that a 911 call came in from their house. They showed up, the guy was screaming. The woman had what looked like a punch mark on her face. She claimed to have injured her eye putting on a contact lens, which is a new one.

Josh Board Oct. 20, 2009 @ 9:12 a.m.

Everyone is probably already aware but...this has now been ruled a hoax. Let's do a reality show of the family from prison, and the children with their new foster parents.