• Big Screen alerts

It's been some time since one of my emblematic emblem quizzes appeared on The Big Screen. What with the heat climbing to a clammy 82 degrees, I figured that you would prefer to sit schvitzing in front of a fan while looking at pretty pictures rather than eyeballing text.

For the most part, all of these logos are unique to the pictures they launch. I thought about axing the Donald Duck opener -- easily the biggest stumbling block in the whole shebang -- but Technicolor Disney livens up any page, doesn't it?

Here are some clues: Charles Bronson, farting cowboys, the late Marvin Hamlisch's third score as composer, and the David Ooooooooooooooooo. Selznick of Woodland Hills.

Cheaters will be shot at sunrise.

None

None

None

None

None

None

None

None

None

None

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

dwbat Aug. 21, 2012 @ 3:40 p.m.

My guess for "Mt. Rushmore": Newman/Poitier?/Streisand/McQueen

Colonna Aug. 21, 2012 @ 5:42 p.m.

First Artists... they also had a screen card in the Mistral font in white lettering.

dwbat Aug. 21, 2012 @ 6:51 p.m.

Right, but I think the question was WHO were they? ;-)

Colonna Aug. 22, 2012 @ 5:56 a.m.

1.) Ben-Hur (1928) (?) 2.) I should know this but don't... 3.) The Fearless Vampire Killers (1967) 4.) No clue 5.) Take The Money And Run (1969) (gub... no, gun) 6.) No clue 7.) Midnight (1939) (?) 8.) No clue 9.) War And Peace (1959) (?) 10.) No clue 11.) Der Fuhrer's Face (1942) (?) 12.) Up The Sandbox (1971) 13.) Forbidden Planet (1956) 14.) Blazing Saddles (1974) 15.) No clue... but James Bond used Brut as a blow torch in "Live And Let Die". 16.) I disqualify myself 17.) What's Cookin', Doc (1944) ... even has a Colonna reference!

agent_00711 Aug. 22, 2012 @ 2:07 p.m.

Colonna already got most of the ones I know, but let me try to plug in just a couple more. 4) Machine-Gun Kelly 8) Double Indemnity 9) Borat 11) Fall Out Fall In 15) Fingers

Scott Marks Aug. 24, 2012 @ 9:06 a.m.

1. Boys! Boys! "Ben-Hur" tinted gold? It's from "Greed."
  2. "Lady in the Lake" (this was a tough one)
  3. "Fearless Vampire Killers.
  4. "Machine Gun Kelly"
  5. "Take the Money and Run"
  6. "The Milky Way"
  7. "Sullivan's Travels"
  8. "Double Indemnity"
  9. "Borat"
  10. "Son of Kong" (Agent, I'm surprised at you!)
  11. "Commando Duck"
  12. "The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean"
  13. "Forbidden Planet"
  14. "Blazing Saddles"
  15. "Fingers"
  16. "Call Me Bwana 2"
  17. "What's Cookin', Doc?"