• Big Screen alerts

My hunt for "logoriginality" has taken me through over half my video collection. This is it. The well has run dry.

Studios generally do not like having their trademarks tampered with. I visited well over a thousand openings and though far from scientific, my research reveals all but a few would allow their heraldry to be recast. Of the big five Golden Age studios, Fox, Paramount, and Universal were the most inclined to open on their emblem. Columbia was the most inventive, particularly when it came to comedies, and Warners actually allowed their brand to be printed over the image.

Leave your answers in the comments section and I'll get back to you. The two earlier quizzes can be found here and here. Good luck!

1.) Image

I couldn't have made this one any easier if I told you it didn't rhyme with "Coarse Weathers" or "Glove Sappy."

2.) Image

3.) Image

4.) Image

It's a good thing no one suspects that all of these screen caps come from my personal stock. I'd lose what little is left of my good standing if people knew I own some of these.

5.) Image

6.) Image

7.) Image

This one is a bit deceptive. Fans of this 1976 film will instantly recognize the grain pattern.

8.) Image

9.) Image

It's the "Presents" typeface and ocean-blue (hint, hint) background that set this one apart.

10.) Image

Bonus Logo

11.) Image

The world's longest (only?) cartoon milk commercial.

Extra Credit

12.) What '80's Paramount Picture opens somewhere beyond the studio's emblematic snow capped mountain?

13.) This Paramount comedy had the audacity to reference their rival's Tower.

Image

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

agent_00711 Sept. 28, 2011 @ 7:04 a.m.

OK, Here are the ones I think I know 1.Duck Soup 3.Sympathy for the Devil (aka. One Plus One) 4.The Trouble With Angels 5.Rebel Without a Cause 6.Land of the Pharaohs 7.Taxi Driver 8.Looney Tunes: Back in Action 9.The Sea Chase? 10.Rio Bravo 12.Airplane? 13.Trouble in Paradise

SurfPuppy619 Sept. 28, 2011 @ 4:43 p.m.

Agent 007-dude you are remarkable. Did you skip #2 intentionally????

Duck Soup is such an awesome flick, one of the best ever. I could never have nailed any of these except Duck Soup!

Bravo!

agent_00711 Sept. 28, 2011 @ 11:20 p.m.

Thank you very much, but I assure you that for me it's partly luck with a bit of occasional detective work.

Scott Marks Sept. 28, 2011 @ 7:52 a.m.

You were correct to add the question marks. "The Sea Chase" is 'Scope and this frame is from a flat picture and while "Airplane!" is a great guess, it's wrong. But who cares? You really know your stuff! I'll hold off on the other answers for a day or two in case anyone else wants to hazard a guess. Thanks for playing, Agent!

Colonna Sept. 28, 2011 @ 6:59 p.m.

Agent did his homework - nice job.

2.) The Story Of Mankind (1957) (?)

11.) Mr. Bug Goes To Town (1941) (?)

12.) Coming To America (1988)

Give me the home game and show me the door...

agent_00711 Sept. 28, 2011 @ 10:44 p.m.

Not sure if it's allowed to take a second stab at it, but I believe I figured out Numbers 2 & 9. 2.Cleopatra 9.The Incredible Mr. Limpet Still blanking on 11 & 12, though what Colonna has for 12 sounds pretty good to me.

Scott Marks Sept. 29, 2011 @ 3:09 p.m.

2 was shot in 'Scope, JC. "The Story of Mankind" was flatter than Chico Marx's nose!

Bravo, fellas! Here is your answer to #11, an obscure cartoon produced by the Van Bueren Studios for Borden's Milk. The hippies rediscovered it in the '60s and instantly recognized milk as a metaphor for acid. Talk about contented cows! This is a terrific cartoon. Enjoy, and thanks again for playing at home! I'll see if I can't put together a "Krazy Kredits" version of this game.

It also dawned on me that the names of each image is contained in each URL. You guys could have cheated me blind!

Colonna Sept. 29, 2011 @ 5:02 p.m.

If these come from your own personal movie archives, what in the name of Darryl Zanuck is "Cleopatra" doing on your shelves?