• Big Screen alerts

These studio logos are all one-shots associated with a single movie. It's up to you to match the logo with the picture it opened. I could have made it multiple choice, but where's the challenge in that?

Post your answers in the comment section and I'll confirm or deny. Have fun! I know I did putting this together!

1.) Image

2.) Image

3.) Image

4.) Image

5.) Many studios were quick to adopt 2oth Century Fox's CinemaScope process, but this is the only film to sport this particular logo. Here's a hint: it's from a western.

Image

6.) Image

7.) Given the scarcity of Technicolor productions during the war years, this logo could very well have headed a few Universal pictures, but only one comes to mind. If there are others, I'm sure you'll let me know. Here's a hint: it's from a western.

Image

8.) Image

9.) Image

10.) Image

11.) The old MGM lion was briefly replaced with this shaggy-maned counterpart for a brief time in the late '50's and early '60's. This may not be a one-shot, but to the best of my knowledge it's the only MGM logo with a blue background. The film boasts a major star/director combo working at what many consider low ebb. For me, this will forever remain the duo's most underrated collaboration. If you get this one, you're good! Image

12.) If this logo means nothing, you're not my kind of reader! Image

13.) Image

14.) Image

15.) The best for last. The only film to work a gag in before the opening logo fades.

Image

Bonus Logos!

16 - 18.) Image

Image

Image

• Big Screen alerts

Comments

Joaquin_de_la_Mesa Sept. 14, 2011 @ 11 a.m.

I want to say "Go West" for number 15.

The rest... couldn't begin to guess.

Scott Marks Sept. 14, 2011 @ 11:08 a.m.

I think you mean 16 -18. The Marx Bros. don't exist in color and CinemaScope. The 3 Marx Bros. caps are not from "Go West." Honestly, it's a bit of a trick question. The images come from a trailer, not the completed feature.

Thanks for playing the game, you bet your life!

Colonna Sept. 14, 2011 @ 7:43 p.m.

I'll take a stab at it...

1.) The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938) 2.) North By Northwest (1959) 3.) The Ten Commandments (1956) 4.) The Greatest Show On Earth (1952) (?) 5.) The Searchers (1956) (?) 6.) No clue 7.) No clue (I thought Universal only made horror movies) 8.) No clue 9.) No clue 10.) No clue 11.) The Wings Of Eagles (1957) 12.) Supervixens (1975) (?) 13.) No clue (Looks like the handiwork of Don Bluth - gag!) 14.) No clue 15.) Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? (1957) 16-18.) The trailer for "A Night At The Opera" (1935)

Will hang up and listen for my answer.

Scott Marks Sept. 14, 2011 @ 11:32 p.m.

Very good, J.C. You're over halfway there. Honestly, I thought #9 was one of the more recognizable selections. How did you ever get "Wings of Eagles?"

Colonna Sept. 15, 2011 @ 11:38 a.m.

I remembering seeing the logo upon my first screening of "Wings" and thinking "Dat's a funny looking lion."

Did some research on the logo and tucked it away until you posted it.

I now have a new movie stumper for the bar trivia folk.

agent_00711 Sept. 15, 2011 @ 9:06 a.m.

I tried to post yesterday, but it took a while for the system to send me the URL link for confirmation. So, Colonna, I swear I did not steal any of your answers, except for no.15 (I originally put down "The Girl Can't Help It")

1.The Adventures of Robin Hood 2. North by Northwest 3.The Ten Commandments 4.The Greatest Show on Earth 5.don't know 6.Bye Bye Birdie 7.Canyon Passage 8.don't know, but it looks really familiar. 9.Psycho 10.The Searchers 11.The Wings of Eagles 12.We got a Russ Meyer logo and it looks like the desert so I'll say, Supervixens
13.Cat Ballou 14.Gypsy 15.Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? 16-18.Night at the Opera trailer

Scott, alas, I am not a walking-talking film encyclopedia like you, so answer 11 was gotten through old fashioned research. I just went on wikipedia and read about all the MGM lions. I believe that one's George.

Scott Marks Sept. 15, 2011 @ 9:52 a.m.

Yoo come by your mistake honestly, 00711. Tony Randall references TGCHI by name in the opening gag. Otherwise, great work! I'll throw all the cards over to reveal the other two. #5 is from De Toth's "Indian Fighter" and #8 is from a personal favorite, Kazan's "Splendor in the Grass."

The two that I wanted to add were "Spooks," just for the beautiful facial expression on Larry's face, and "Sullivan's Travels." Remember the "gift-wrapped" Paramount Logo that opened the picture? Sadly, my DVD copy is on loan.

Colonna Sept. 15, 2011 @ 11:46 a.m.

I almost said "The Seven Little Foys" for #14 - the power of Hope almost had me until I realized the mark of the beast bore the Paramount logo.

Another edition of this game soon please!