Would you like to be a Naked Thumb Sucker? What is that?

The Matrix movies, the first one being the only one I cared for, had an interesting premise. In a nutshell, humans are kept alive in little alcoves, naked. Their minds are wired into a ‘matrix’; a fake world where they live and die. Think of it as the ultimate FARMING online simming game. (My wife loves FARMING and the new CAFÉ one; but I digress)

When the humans die inside the fake world, “the matrix”, their real body, which has never left the alcove, is grinded into mush and this mush is then recycled intravenously for the rest of humanity so subsist on for real life nutrition to basically keep the body alive while you are in “the matrix”.

About a couple years ago I started asking people if they would mind living like that. Living your entire life just as the humans did in that movie. Your real body is kept inside a small, closed in area. You spend your life sucking your thumb as your mind lives in some fake world where you face the real challenges of life (love, loss, parenthood, orgasms, death) but it is all in your mind. Most people I have asked have answered; yes. They would prefer that kind of existence instead of the one we live now (unless this is all a matrix and…I wont go there)

If someone came to you and offered to wire you up to a matrix would you do it? You could look the way you wanted to, do what you want to do, be a movie star, be a banker, do what you do now maybe, but your real body would exist only in a small space. You would be naked, sucking your thumb, lost in your mind for 80+ years.

If you answer, please give us an idea of your age/sex. Would be neat to see how the answers would split between generations, the sexes.

Comments

rickeysays Nov. 18, 2009 @ 11:49 p.m.

Some philosophers might ask, how do you know that isn't already the case?

FullFlavorPike Nov. 19, 2009 @ 2:30 a.m.

First Matrix=The Good Matrix.

Second Matrix=The Otay Matrix.

Third Matrix=The Stupid "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??" Matrix

My $0.02

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 6:12 a.m.

The Matrix, Trueman Show, and the best of the lot, Dark City, are all recent movies that have that 'reality isn't what it seems' thing going on. It is an interesting suggestion. And now there's that theory that this universe is actually a holographic reality; and I have no idea what that means.

arinoman Nov. 19, 2009 @ 7:24 a.m.

I am not even sure what to say about this topic. If this is what white america is thinking about then I feel safer everyday. Maybe these movies are made for people like Pistolepete who have mental issues and blend reality with a warped imagintion.

Rino Creator of my own reality

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 8:41 a.m.

Nothing racial intended from this thread at all. Its just a 'what if' question.

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 11 a.m.

I agree with that rating scale Pike. I thought the first was pretty good, but it came so close to DARK CITY I just felt it was barrowing some elements from that movie.

SCIFI movie 'franchises' have a tedency to run dry pretty quickly it seems.

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 11:54 a.m.

Arinoman's mouth? Meet Arinoman's foot. I HATED the Matrix movies. If fact, I hate about 99% of the bulls*** coming out of Hollywood right now. I don't think Hollywood has produced a movie I've truly enjoyed since my mid-teens.

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 12:46 p.m.

I was just at tacobell with my son and brought this up with these two men sitting next to us in the next booth. They split. One said he wouldn't mind existing only in his mind, and his body kept somewhere else. The other said he was nuts.

Pistol. My teens were a while back. what were some of the movies that you did like in your teens?

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 1:54 p.m.

Anything by John Hughes for starters. I also like my movies to be like my music-obscure and forgotten. There's a certain artistic charm in the movie Two Moon Junction. I also like some cult classics like The Warriors, Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs.

Anyone remember the movie PI? Or SFW? These are little nuggets of humanity produced by a Hollywood that still had pride. Does the younger generation REALLY need a s***ty re-make of Halloween and Halloween II via Rob Zombie? Granted, I own and adore House of a 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects.

I'm tired of comic books, cartoons and s***ty re-makes coming from Hollywood. It's almost as if some stupid stoner is sitting around a boardroom thinking of ways to make a fast buck. "I know!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's make a movie version of Inspector Gadget!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell yeah! That show rocked and people will love it!!!!"

Ghey!

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 2:09 p.m.

Here's a list of the DVD's in my collection right now:

The Big Lebowski-Fargo-The Aristocrats-History of Violence-Lords of Dogtown-Monster-United 93-Grand Canyon-Balls of Fury-Epic Movie-Hot Fuzz-Ghost Rider-The Breakfast Club-Miami Vice-Firewall-8 Mile-Boogeyman-The Complete Second Season of South Park-La Cosa Nostra:Mafia-An Expose/5 DVDs-Smokin' Aces-Lucky # Slevin-Eastern Promises-Dazed and Confused-Talladega Nights-Waiting-Cool Hand Luke-The Simpsons-OZ:The complete series-Miami Vice:The complete series-NASCAR:IMAX-Pinocchio-Van Wilder-The Ringer-Boiler Room-The Jacket-Shooter-Crossroads-Sam Kinison:3 DVD set-Lord of War-American Pie:Band Camp-SAW-SAW II-SAW III-The Warriors:Director's Cut-Airplane-Airplane II-Less Than Zero-House of Wax-Super Troopers-Duece Bigalow:European Gigolo-Red Eye-House of a 1,000 Corpses-The Devil's Rejects-Accepted-World Trade Center-Borat-Kentucky Fried Movie-Jarhead-The Departed-The Last Waltz-The Great Outdoors-Resevoir Dogs-Employee of the Month-Knockaround Guys

I also had until I lent them out and never saw them again, Clerks and Clerks II.

Most of my movies were bought at Blockbuster. 3 for $20, 4 for $20 and in rare cases, 5 for $20

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 2:22 p.m.

You'll hate my collection..

All seven released seasons of HAWAII FIVE-0 Every Godzilla movie ever made (minus the idiot American attempt)

All the Disney cartoons (have kids you know)

Most of the STAR TREK TV shows, and movies, and the new movie.

I could go on, but i bet your brain is exploding..sorry!

PistolPete Nov. 19, 2009 @ 2:35 p.m.

LOL! Godzilla movies are fun to watch because of their cheesiness. Hawai'i Five-0 was AWESOME! I'm jealous. Star Trek/Star Wars? Never got into or enjoyed but who am I to judge? I hate Disney. My GF bought me Pinocchio as a joke because thinks 'm full of s*** most times I open my mouth.

I'm more apt to watch a comedy with fart jokes or an action movie or a sports documentary and pretty much anything anti-liberal/conservative. I don't do any romantic girly type flicks unless there's a BJ involved afterwards. I scratch your back, you suck my wang. :-D

RobertScorpio Nov. 19, 2009 @ 2:55 p.m.

LOL...my wife delivers the BJ if I set through the latest chic flic, so they have their downs, and UPS, if you know what I mean.

I am surprised at how much I am enjoying these old FIVE-0 episodes. McGarrett puts all these CSI dudes to shame.