Since the alcohol ban on the beaches that took place almost two years ago, the young, festered crowd of PB has been actively searching for a creative way to bypass the system. And sure enough, before too long… they found an appropriate loophole.

Kate O. Sessions Park, with its 60 acres of grassy fields and its absolutely stunning panoramic views, has been known to be a serving ground for family picnics, pick-up soccer games, free outdoor summer concerts on Sundays, people with dogs, and even the occasional wedding ceremony. But Kate Sessions Park in Pacific Beach off Lamont Street has been penetrated by a new culture's flag, opting the younger flocks to openly display their inebriation. What was once, and in my opinion still is, a great spot for locals to go to enjoy a gorgeous, sunny San Diego Weekend utilizing one of the aforementioned activities, has been infiltrated with the former beach-going, riled crowds. The reason that Kate O. Sessions park has become the newfangled landing strip for this fleet of college-aged 20 something's is that the park permits alcoholic drinking (no glass bottles) from 8am- 8pm.

So with this vindication of the imbibing of alcohol, some people just don’t know when to stop. Week in and week out, trails of collegiate masses trek out to the park, libations in hand, ready to turn their afternoon into one they’ll soon forget. Don’t get me wrong, I have been out to the park a multitude of times to play a nice round of slosh ball, but some people like to take it a little too far. Families parade out to the park in hopes to search for a nice outing for the afternoon, yet they find themselves entangled with slip n’ slide parties, mounts of public urination, and a cavalcade of drinking games.

So yes, you still can enjoy a nice outdoor summer concert at the park, which ran this year from July 19- Aug. 16, or play Frisbee with your dog, or take a nice hike as illustrated in this Sign on San Diego article: “Stellar view is draw of Kate Sessions park”. You can even still plan your wedding at this vicinity; you just might have to pencil in a beer bong after the recital of the vows in order to fit in with the trend.

If we, yes myself included, don’t take precaution when making our weekend plans at this park, we all can bet that a new ban will soon be in the works. The police and the surrounding neighborhoods might appreciate this ban to cut down on the noise levels and triumphant waves of traffic as well as minimize those individuals who abstain from using a Designated Driver, but the general public will soon be in rue that they took advantage of this fantastic retribution to the ban of drinking on the beach.

More like this:

Comments

TarynRoscoe Aug. 18, 2009 @ 1:20 p.m.

This is a well written article and I agree with taking precaution so a new ban doesn't happen there too!

PistolPete Aug. 18, 2009 @ 1:55 p.m.

Since when do families get to make public policy into law? scratches head MY GF said it best when this story first broke a week ago"Families? Not everyone WANTS a family!!!!!! Don't these peole get it?" I couldn't agree with her more. The other day in Target,I had to walk outside to have a cigarette to keep from punting this little boy who was screaming as his his clueless mother shopped. I'm in no way advocating the abuse of toddlers but there has to be some sort of compromise. My parents didn't take jacks--t from my sister or I. We screamed and we got spanked HARD. My father once took off his belt and beat the ever livin' s--t out of me for running around bumping into old people. Granted I was about 5 or 6 but that piece of leather taught me in 10 seconds what my parents tried to explain to me in 10 minutes. I never forgot and didn't do it once afterward.

roscoe Aug. 18, 2009 @ 2:45 p.m.

PistolPete- Families founded this country. If your parents didn't have you or your sister, then you wouldn't be alive to be here blogging on this website. And it's families, just like yours, that are able to vote about public issues, and turn public policy into law. That's why America is considered a democracy, because everyone gets a voice.

But I'm not saying they should ban drinking from the park, I just think that if people don't take caution over their drinking antics, then the city will find a way to ban alcohol consumption from yet another public place, and it's going to be the families in the surrounding neighborhoods that are going to write up the petition to make it happen.

vmje4s Aug. 18, 2009 @ 2:45 p.m.

I couldn't agree more that some parents these days really need to get a clue. I don't believe in abuse either, but I think a spanking is needed now and then to get a point across.

flip_faulconer Aug. 18, 2009 @ 7:12 p.m.

Poor research Roscoe. It is illegal to have a dog off leash in Kate Sessions - so no frisbee with Fido. Its already illegal to do everything that you mentioned wrong with Kate Sessions being 'discovered' - drunk in public, public urination, illegal water use (slip-n-slide on public property w/o a permit). I've been up there every Saturday with my kids this summer and have seen ZERO police. Try writing a few dozen tickets to the idiots before banning everything. It won't be the surrounding neighborhood who writes the petition - Faulconer will just add it to the list of banned parks like he did last year and my family will lose another free recreation zone where we could enjoy a BBQ and cold beer.

LAL Aug. 22, 2009 @ 7:46 a.m.

Just watch how Councilman Kevin Faulconer uses his PR Machine to spin the truth and make himself look like a Saint this upcoming Election season. Do not be fooled! This is a Professional Politician who does not care about people rights and freedom rather his own political ambitions.

It is time for a New District 2 City Council Representative. Kevin blew his chance. Go back to whatever you were doing before you decided to be a crooked civil servant.