Ken Leighton 1 p.m., Oct. 21
Oriflamme and bad-asses in east San Diego County
Two intense events on Saturday the 6th in the Borrego area. Life insurance is required.
There are two hardcore events on Saturday the 6th. One is the King of the Hill six mile, 15 mile and 22 mile run and the other is the Oriflamme 50K (about 31 miles).
Both events are in the East County outback and are trail running affairs.
The Oriflamme is limited to 150 participants and is a standard ultra-marathon with aid stations on an up and down course.
The King of the Hill is the conclusion of a four event trail running series that started in January. The King of the Hill series is a race to the top and back down of four different peaks in San Diego County.
Peak number four is Rabbit Mountain. There is a Fleet of Feet division with fitness tests along the way such as push-up and burpees. Water stations are provided.
There is also a Bad Ass division which is the 22 mile course. Bad asses are required to carry a pack as there are no aid stations. The catch is that the pack must weigh at least 50 lbs. for men and 30 lbs. for women.
The website says a life insurance policy is required. I’m not sure if that is supposed to be humorous or if it’s for reals. I’m also not going to find out this year as my bad ass status has been temporarily revoked due to lack of--well--being a bad ass.
More like this:
- Solana Beach 103-mile bike ride — May 27, 2013
- Rain Check — April 6, 2012
- When Kids Go To Prison, plus 100 Rockin' Lawsuits — July 30, 2008
- 25 to Life: In Prison Since She Was 15, plus I Fought the Law: 100 Local Music Lawsuits & Busts — June 13, 2008
- Hike alongside a bubbling stream in Anza-Borrego's Oriflamme Canyon to reach a 15-foot waterfall. — Jan. 17, 2001