Don Bauder 4:30 p.m., Dec. 9
Playas de Rosarito celebrating 128 years as a city
City to hold celebrations throughout the week
Playas de Rosarito, which lies approximately 20km southwest of Tijuana, is celebrating its 128th year as a city on May 14, 2013. The city will be holding events for the remainder of the week, highlighted by a festival on Saturday and Sunday.
Playas de Rosarito, which is often referred to solely as Rosarito, has gone through multiple stages as a community since its humble beginnings. The area was first settled by Spanish missionaries in the early 1800’s and later developed into a ranching community during the next 100 years. The city was officially founded in 1885, by rancher Don Joaquín Machado, when a land title was granted by President Porfirio Díaz.
More like this:
- Mother kills two young daughters, then self, in Rosarito — March 21, 2013
- Teen rescued from captor in Tijuana — March 15, 2013
- Rosarito police officer arrested for exploiting teen — March 13, 2013
- Human head found in Rosarito — Jan. 4, 2013
- Mexico celebrating Independence Day — Sept. 16, 2012