Barbarella Fokos 10 a.m., Oct. 7
California woman busted with 23 pounds of narcotics at Calexico port of entry
Calexico, CA citizen arrested in possession of heroin and methamphetamine hidden in vehicles muffler
United States Customs and Border Protection officers arrested a California woman, at the Calexico downtown port of entry, in possession of a substantial amount of hard drugs. According to CBP officials, the arrest and seizure occurred on June 12, around 12:30pm. A drug dog found packages hidden in the vehicles muffler, which had a total weight of 23 pounds. Methamphetamine and heroin were found in the packages.
The driver was identified as a 24 year old female resident of Calexico, CA. The suspect is being held at the Imperial County jail to face possible smuggling charges.
A March 2013 study, by the Center for Investigative Reporting, stated that 80 percent of documented drug smuggling attempts from Mexico involve a U.S. citizen. The study also gave statistics showing that U.S. citizens are becoming more involved with drug trafficking from Mexico in recent years.
More like this:
- Calexico border agents seize cash headed for Mexico, meth headed for U.S. — Sept. 5, 2013
- Border agents make big seizure at Otay Mesa — Aug. 27, 2013
- Large drug seizures on both sides of border — Aug. 5, 2013
- 21 Arrested with Narcotics in Mexicali — March 4, 2012
- Border News Translations: $1 Million in Drugs Seized; 28 Migrants Caught; 32 Police Want Compensation — April 23, 2011