Ken Leighton 9 a.m., March 24
Controlled burn scheduled at MCAS Miramar
The Marine Corps Air Station Miramar Fire Department has announced it plans to conduct a controlled burn of dead brush along Aqueduct Road in East Miramar on Sunday, June 9 in order to limit the risk of wildfires this summer.
Smoke from the fire is expected to be visible along the 15, 52, and 163 freeways, as well as in local communities extending eastward to Santee.
While a final decision on whether or not to ignite the blaze will be based on weather conditions over the weekend, the department is hoping to alert as many community members in advance so as to limit the number of unnecessary emergency calls.
More like this:
- Are the volunteers getting hosed? — July 24, 2013
- Car fire victim identified — Sept. 24, 2012
- San Diego's Quemaduras del Sol Effigy at Burning Man 2011 — Sept. 10, 2011
- Up in Smoke — Feb. 22, 2007
- Going Native — April 27, 2000