Ed Bedford 6 p.m., March 11
Man who phoned in a shooting was arrested for a stabbing
David Diaz pleads not-guilty to murder charge
Carlsbad police responded to a 911 call reporting a shooting last week, but the medical examiner has declared that the victim died of “multiple incised and stab wounds of head and neck.”
Asher Caleb Freeman, 24, was found “deceased at the scene” when police arrived on the 3500 block of Sierra Morena Drive, a little before 6 p.m. on August 7, 2013.
The person who phoned 911 was David Diaz, and he lived at the same residence where the deceased person was found, according to police Sgt. Jeff Chapman. “Diaz sustained minor injuries to his hands during the incident.”
Diaz first told police there had been two intruders, according to a prosecutor. The stabbing victim had only recently rented a room from Diaz, and the two had a disagreement over loud music, prosecutor Paul Myers said in court.
Less than 24 hours after police arrived, 31-year-old David Diaz was arrested on suspicion of murder and obstructing a peace officer.
Diaz pleaded not-guilty to all charges through a public defender on August 12. He is held in lieu of $5 million bail and is next due in court on August 21, 2013.
More like this:
- The roommate who wanted the music turned down is dead — March 5, 2014
- Sister of alleged murder victim testified — Aug. 27, 2013
- Carlsbad man accused of killing his new roommate brought to court — Aug. 12, 2013
- Escondido man charged with knifing wife in bed — July 9, 2013
- Prosecutor revealed details in alleged gang shooting of two children — April 3, 2013