Matt Potter 4:30 p.m., April 28
Carlsbad man accused of killing his new roommate brought to court
David Diaz pleads not-guilty to murder
A man accused of killing his new roommate was brought before a judge this afternoon in San Diego’s North County courthouse.
Twenty-four-year-old Asher Freeman had only recently rented a room from David Diaz, according to a prosecutor. Diaz complained to his new renter about his loud music, and the disagreement somehow ended in a fatal confrontation, according to deputy district attorney Paul Myers.
It was Diaz who phoned 911 last Wednesday, August 7, according to Carlsbad police.
When police responded to the home before 6 p.m., in the 3500 block of Sierra Morena Drive, they were first told that there had been two intruders, according to the prosecutor.
In less than 24 hours, David Diaz, 31, was arrested on suspicion of murder and obstructing a peace officer. Diaz pleads not-guilty through public defender Onell Soto.
Honorable Judge Marshall Hockett ordered Diaz held in lieu of $5 million bail and set his next court date for August 21, 2013.
More like this:
- The roommate who wanted the music turned down is dead — March 5, 2014
- California man accused of cooking wife is due in court Tuesday — Aug. 16, 2013
- Man who phoned in a shooting was arrested for a stabbing — Aug. 15, 2013
- Mother-in-law testifies — Dec. 11, 2012
- Woman Denies Trying to Suffocate 90-Yr-Old Man — Aug. 21, 2012