Marty Graham 6:30 p.m., Jan. 17
Calexico Superintendent Resigns When Raise Denied
Calexico Unified School District and Sweetwater High School District have run on parallel paths for the last few years. Like Sweetwater, Calexico brought a superintendent out of retirement in 2011. Calexico Unified brought back Richard Fragale and Sweetwater brought back Dr. Ed Brand. Due to changes in the California State Teachers Retirement System, the amount of post-retirement compensation either of these superintendents can earn is severely limited.
According to the September 14 ivpressonline.com article, Calexico board members deliberated late into the night on September 13 and finally voted not to approve the $30,000 pay increase that Fragale was seeking.
Fragale has resigned effective September 18 and is quoted in the article as saying, "I will not work from now through June for $1,300 a month, and I don't think anyone out there would either."
The district has struggled financially and last year tottered on the brink of being placed on state receivership.
The Sweetwater board might be facing the same decision as the Calexico board in the near future. Rumor has persisted that the district will offer interim superintendent Brand a new contract. On September 10 a vociferous group of parents and community activists let the board know that they opposed offering Brand a longer or more lucrative contract.
More like this:
- Shades of Sweetwater at Calexico Unified School District — Nov. 20, 2012
- Sweetwater Interim Superintendent Ed Brand Resigns — Sept. 21, 2012
- Sweetwater Interim Superintendent Ed Brand to Get Contract? — Sept. 2, 2012
- Calexico Unified School District's Similarities with Sweetwater — Jan. 16, 2012
- Sweetwater Union Interim Superintendent Ed Brand’s Past — July 9, 2011