Barbarella Fokos noon, Feb. 26
Failed liquor store robbery involving submachine gun
A suspect remains on the loose after a botched armed robbery at the Welldeck Liquor store on the 3700 block of Avocado Boulevard in the unincorporated La Mesa community of Rancho San Diego late Saturday morning.
Witnesses described a “possibly Hispanic” suspect with “bloodshot eyes, carrying an orange backpack . . . and a submachine gun” type weapon, who fled on foot after being confronted by a store employee. He was wearing all black clothing, with a black cloth covering most of his face.
Sheriff’s deputies from the Lemon Grove substation called in a search helicopter and a K-9 unit, but efforts to locate the suspect were unsuccessful.
More like this:
- El Cajon robbery suspect captured in North Carolina — March 17, 2014
- La Mesa liquor store clerk strikes robbery suspect in head with bottle — Jan. 30, 2013
- Liquor store customers assist in preventing robbery — Aug. 22, 2012
- Police Search for Suspect in Failed Robbery Attempt — Jan. 26, 2012
- Real and Fake Guns Used in Robbery-Shooting Case — March 25, 2008