Brandon Hernández 9 a.m., March 10
Journalist Killed in Tijuana
A journalist was found dead early Monday morning, October 15th, after suffering a bullet wound to the head. Ramón Abel López Aguilar, a 53 year old journalist and photographer, was found dead around 6:00am shortly after being reported missing. Local news agencies have given different reports on the abduction of López, although it appears he was allegedly taken from a bar in Zona Rio by armed men.
The body was recovered in an empty lot on the street of Paseo del Lago in the colonia El Lago. Milenio news reported that an employee of a nearby school reported the dead body shortly before children arrived.
López worked for El Sol de Tijuana newspaper before leaving to create his own news site, TijuanaInformativo.info. López was the news director as well as a photographer for his site. The website does not focus on crime reporting, raising questions on the motive behind the murder.
According to the State Human Rights Commission, from 2000 to August of 2012, 82 journalists have been killed in Mexico. After the murder of López, at least 8 journalists have been killed in 2012 so far.
More like this:
- Baja California received more than 25% of deportations in 2012 from U.S. — Aug. 19, 2013
- Majority of asylum seekers at Otay Mesa are from violent state of Michoacán — Aug. 13, 2013
- 14 homicides in Tijuana over seven days — April 15, 2013
- Journalist was killed by daughter’s boyfriend — Oct. 17, 2012
- Suspect busted with over $1million cash owned restaurant in Tijuana — Aug. 21, 2012