Dorian Hargrove 7:30 p.m., Dec. 1
Journalist Killed in Tijuana
A journalist was found dead early Monday morning, October 15th, after suffering a bullet wound to the head. Ramón Abel López Aguilar, a 53 year old journalist and photographer, was found dead around 6:00am shortly after being reported missing. Local news agencies have given different reports on the abduction of López, although it appears he was allegedly taken from a bar in Zona Rio by armed men.
The body was recovered in an empty lot on the street of Paseo del Lago in the colonia El Lago. Milenio news reported that an employee of a nearby school reported the dead body shortly before children arrived.
López worked for El Sol de Tijuana newspaper before leaving to create his own news site, TijuanaInformativo.info. López was the news director as well as a photographer for his site. The website does not focus on crime reporting, raising questions on the motive behind the murder.
According to the State Human Rights Commission, from 2000 to August of 2012, 82 journalists have been killed in Mexico. After the murder of López, at least 8 journalists have been killed in 2012 so far.
More like this:
- Journalist was killed by daughter’s boyfriend — Oct. 17, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: City Lighting Repair Ongoing; Suspect Admits Killing of Abel Lopez — Oct. 17, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: Puerto Vallarta Police Director Attacked; Tijuana Journalist Found Dead — Oct. 15, 2012
- Baja & Border News Translations: Criminal Charges against Mayor; 12 Killed in 48 Hours — Sept. 18, 2012
- Suspect busted with over $1million cash owned restaurant in Tijuana — Aug. 21, 2012