Ian Pike noon, Dec. 8
The bicycle corral installed at the corner of 5th Avenue and University in Hillcrest this week added a perk for users of the dedicated parking area and the community in general, BikeSD.org reports.
The Uptown Community Parking District recently completed the installation of a Dero Fixit station, a public mini-workshop containing a bike stand and all of the tools needed for basic bike maintenance, which are tethered to the station using stainless steel cables. Listed retail on the complete outfit is $900, and BikeSD notes that another of the devices installed at a nearby Whole Foods location has been popular with the community.
Civic San Diego has announced plans to improve bicycle parking downtown, including the creation of several more bike corrals. The Reader attempted to contact Civic San Diego to ask whether Fixits are being considered for any of those locations on Wednesday, but did not receive a response.
More like this:
- North Park, Coronado to improve bicycle parking options — Jan. 25, 2013
- New bike lane on Nimitz in Ocean Beach — Dec. 26, 2012
- Enhanced bike parking coming to Downtown — Oct. 17, 2012
- San Diego inches closer to abolishing bicycle licensing law — Oct. 10, 2012
- Fletcher Pledges to Make Transit, Cyclist Access a Priority — Feb. 21, 2012