Don Bauder 6:30 p.m., Aug. 21
Private Education and Gambling Interests Back Anderson
A controversial private education outfit and the home of the Kentucky Derby were two of the December donors to the 2010 campaign committee of GOP state Sen. Joel Anderson.
On December 17, San Diego's Bridgepoint Education, Inc. gave Anderson $2,900; Churchill Downs of Louisville, Kentucky kicked in $2,000 on December 9.
Other donations included $1,000 each from Disney Worldwide Services of Lake Buena Vista, Florida and Sprint Nextel of Overland Park, Kansas.
Last year Anderson's committee raised a toal $67,000 and spent $110,630, ending 2011 with a cash balance of $5,228 and a debt of $15,000.
That was owed to Anderson's political consultant, Collin McGlashen of Sacramento, now his chief of staff.
According to Anderson's website, "McGlashen, like Anderson, originally hails from the 'Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam, circum spice' state, [If you are seeking an amenable (pleasant) peninsula, look around you] - Michigan.
"He graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelors of Arts in Political Science and is a proud Wolverine."
More like this:
- Bridgepoint's PAC Keeps up Political Pace, Contributes to Paul Ryan — Aug. 14, 2012
- Vargas 2010 Campaign Reports Debts of $375,784 — Feb. 1, 2012
- Sweetwater's Funds for Education — Jan. 11, 2012
- Joel Anderson gives $10,000 to Anti-Redistricting Effort — Aug. 29, 2011
- Breaking Stories — Nov. 10, 2005