Various Authors 3:49 p.m., Dec. 3
Bridgepoint's PAC Keeps up Political Pace, Contributes to Paul Ryan
Bridgepoint Education, Inc., the controversial San Diego-based for-profit education conglomerate, is one of the city's biggest donors of political cash and event freebies, spreading the campaign wealth to everyone from Republican-turned-independent Nathan Fletcher's mayoral bid to Democratic Assemblyman Marty Block, Republican state Sen. Joel Anderson, and beyond.
Last December, Anderson received $2900 from the education outfit.
On top of that, last fall Bridgepoint handed out free football and food and beverage tickets to Anderson, Block, and GOP county supervisor Greg Cox, disclosure records show.
One of the latest targets of Bridgepoint's largesse is Republican congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, newly designated GOP vice presidential nominee-to-be.
According to Ryan's most recent House campaign filing, Bridgepoint gave the outspoken conservative $1,000 on April 30.
More like this:
- Walmart and Sempra bankroll anti-Fletcher hit piece — Oct. 23, 2013
- No April Fools Joke: Fletcher Joins Democrats — May 4, 2013
- Some of La Jolla's Richest and an L.A. Casino Operator Kick in Big for Fletcher — May 24, 2012
- Mayoral Campaign of Newly Independent Nathan Fletcher Gives $5,000 To GOP, Filing Says — April 13, 2012
- Private Education and Gambling Interests Back Anderson — Jan. 20, 2012