Don Bauder 10:30 p.m., July 24
Steve Breen and Roger Hedgecock Deck the Halls for GOP
It's the holiday season, time for politicians of good cheer throughout San Diego county to make the rounds of fundraisers and benefits everywhere.
Tomorrow it's "Christmas for the Corps," a pancake breakfast featuring GOP congressman Brian Bilbray at Miramar's Marine Corps Air Station officers club, sponsored by controversial private school conglomerate Bridgepoint Education and the USO.
"Please bring an unwrapped new toy to the event for our young Marines and their families," the invite says.
Then on Wednesday December 7, it's a "Holiday Open House" thrown by Republican state Sen. Joel Anderson at the Ronald Reagan Community Center in El Cajon.
"The holiday season is a time to reflect on the experiences of the past year," says the invite. "This open house will provide you with the opportunity to hear a 2011 legislative update."
Another big draw is the GOP Lincoln Club's "Occupy Christmas" holiday dinner, set for Thursday December 8 at downtown's Grant Hotel.
At $225 each, the tickets aren't for scrooges. Higher sponsorship levels listed poke fun at the Occupy movement.
Fallen San Diego mayor Roger Hedgecock will emcee, according to the invite, to be joined by special guest and keynote speaker Steve Breen, editorial cartoonist for the Union-Tribune.
No word on whether incoming U-T owner and La Jolla GOP bigwig Doug Manchester is planning to attend, but he was one of Hedgecock's biggest backers when the young, then slightly left-of-center county supervisor beat Democrat Maureen O'Connor for mayor way back in 1983.
More like this:
- Real estate and casino money gushes to GOP and Faulconer as mayoral cash race heats up — Sept. 20, 2013
- GOP's Lincoln Club weighs in big for Democrat Crenshaw — April 23, 2013
- More key lobbyist names emerge in wake of mayor's high dollar fundraiser — Jan. 24, 2013
- San Diego City Council Members Chow Down, Stock Up on Local Equities — April 5, 2012
- Wine Tasting with Filner, Issa plays Tagg for Holiday Fundraising — Dec. 20, 2011