Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Jan. 19
Fundraiser Nets $2000 for Local Patient
A fundraiser Saturday night at Balboa Park’s Centro Cultural de la Raza netted over $2000 to benefit Raul Carranza in his fight to restore Medi-Cal funding to pay for treatment related to muscular dystrophy, a disease that has left him in need of round-the-clock medical support.
Carranza later shared a laugh over what at the time was a rather embarrassing moment during the event. “My friend Sarah had asked me to dance. When we were dancing my hand got stuck on the control of the wheelchair and I started going around in circles but everyone thought I was dancing.”
The event was organized by Occupy San Diego’s Labor Solidarity Committee and featured musical performances and speeches from those involved in the Occupy movement as well as a silent auction with items donated by community members.
Pictured: Raul and David, one of the event’s organizers.
More like this:
- Bittersweet ending to health care battle — Oct. 8, 2013
- Nursing battle to court — Dec. 7, 2012
- Video: "Why I Need Nursing Care" — March 19, 2012
- The Dire Limits of Health Care — March 7, 2012
- Occupy San Diego Remains at Civic Center, Modifies Consensus Process - At Least 26 Tijuana Occupiers Arrested — Oct. 18, 2011