Jeff Smith 2 p.m., Oct. 21
Video: "Why I Need Nursing Care"
Muscular dystrophy patient Raul Carranza, who has been fighting Medi-Cal over a move to cut the amount of benefits he receives, has posted video documenting an example of the type of critical care situations he faces on a regular basis.
“Yeah, we have situations like that fairly often,” says Carranza of the scene depicted in a YouTube clip entitled Why I Need Nursing Care, in which Carranza’s airway becomes blocked and he requires assistance breathing. He says the situation occurs because he can’t get funding for a heating unit that should be attached to his wheelchair’s ventilator.
Carranza has announced a plan in conjunction with Occupy San Diego’s Labor Solidarity Committee to picket the San Diego County Health & Human Services Agency over budget cuts, which they say hurt not only patients who aren’t receiving adequate care but nurses whose hours and pay are reduced.
More like this:
- Bittersweet ending to health care battle — Oct. 8, 2013
- Nursing battle to court — Dec. 7, 2012
- The Dire Limits of Health Care — March 7, 2012
- Group to Protest State Health Spending Cuts — Jan. 26, 2012
- If We Didn't Advertise We'd Go Broke Treating the Poor — June 24, 2009