Ken Harrison 8:30 a.m., Dec. 5
"Papa" Doug Manchester Continues Political Giving
"Papa" Doug Manchester, the wealthy La Jolla developer and Republican who drew the wrath of same-sex marriage proponents when he supported the passage of California's Proposition 8 three years ago, hasn't backed away from supporting his favorite candidate and causes.
Rumored himself to be a candidate to purchase the San Diego Union-Tribune from Platinum Equity, the Beverly Hills investment outfit and vulture fund led by L.A.'s Tom Gores, Manchester gave $2500 to GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney this April 29, according to Federal Election Commission filings.
The month before, on March 17, Manchester contributed $5000 to the Free and Strong America PAC, a Romney operation that gave financial support to Prop 8, according to an October 2008 account in Salt Lake City's Deseret News.
These days, of course, Romney is also a fellow La Jollan, having bought ex-mayor Maureen O'Connor's onetime beachfront hideaway on Dunmere Drive.
Other La Jollans who have anted up for Romney, according to federal filings, include hotel owner Rusti Bartell ($2500); longtime Mama's Kitchen benefactor Elisabeth Bergan ($2500); investor Roger Boesky ($2500); Innovive biotech CEO Dee Conger ($2500); and financal consultant Bronson Jacoway ($2500).
More like this:
- Papa Doug hasn't forgotten Carl D. — Oct. 10, 2013
- "Papa Doug Trust" kicks in with $130,000 to Karl Rove's GOP super PAC — Nov. 1, 2012
- Union-Tribune Owner's Family Members Climb Aboard Romney Presidential Bandwagon — June 7, 2012
- Manchester Gives Another $25,000 to Romney Super PAC — Feb. 21, 2012
- Copley Goes for Romney; Burnham and Spanos Pick Perry — Dec. 30, 2011