Laura Cedergreen 12:30 p.m., March 9
Dumanis Responds to California's High Unemployment Rate
According to the Labor Department, California's unemployment rate is the second highest in the country, behind Nevada. The August jobs report shows the state with a 12.1 percent unemployment rate.
Moments after the data was released, District attorney and mayoral candidate Bonnie Dumanis commented on effects that high unemployment have in San Diego.
“Rising unemployment during this ‘recovery’ means too many San Diegans are suffering,” stated Dumanis.
Similar to other mayoral candidates, Dumanis has her sights on reforming business practices in the city as a way to spark the local economy.
“Holding the line on taxes, reforming and simplifying permitting, and improving our infrastructure to lure new employers must be our top priorities to tackle this jobs crisis.
“As mayor I will work to make San Diego the easiest place in California to start a business, expand a business, and invest, and this morning's jobs report should be a wake-up call for anyone who is unsure government needs to change direction. “
More like this:
- LIVE BLOG - Mayoral Candidate Forum — March 14, 2012
- Meeting Minutes of Mayoral Forum in Bankers Hill — Nov. 21, 2011
- Fletcher Scores An Endorsement From California Small Business Association — Nov. 15, 2011
- Filner Is In — June 8, 2011
- Fletcher Goes On the Offensive — June 7, 2011