Marty Graham 5:30 p.m., Oct. 24
Filner Is In
It's official, after weeks of speculation Congressman Bob Filner has entered the race to become San Diego's next mayor.
Filner is the first high-profile Democratic candidate to announce his candidacy. He joins Republican candidates Bonnie Dumanis, Nathan Fletcher, and councilmember Carl DeMaio.
Last week Democratic State Senator Christine Kehoe formed an exploratory committee.
Hours before Filner announced his candidacy, the local Republican party launched their own campaign aimed at discrediting Filner and his run for mayor.
“The mayoralty is a critical leadership role for our city, not a retirement plan for washed up politicians,” said the former chairman of San Diego's Republican party, Ron Nehring. “Bob Filner’s days in the House are numbered, and he knows it.”
More like this:
- U-T owner Manchester moves more big money into San Diego GOP — Sept. 3, 2013
- NYC Mayoral Candidate Anthony Weiner: "Bob Filner is a model mayor." — July 15, 2013
- Local Republican endorsement slate rolled out — June 12, 2013
- Filner on Fletcher: "There's no such thing as independent." — May 9, 2013
- Political Parties Gave Last-Minute Cash To Mayoral Candidates — June 5, 2012