Matthew Lickona 1:15 p.m., June 29
Local Philanthropist Attempts Catalina Channel Swim
Blair Cannon, a local businessman and philanthropist, announced yesterday his intention to swim the 21 mile Catalina Channel from Santa Catalina Island to Rancho Palos Verdes, just south of Los Angeles.
Cannon hopes to raise $210,000 for charity, or $10,000 for each mile of the swim. Funds will go to support Monarch School, a San Diego-based K-12 that serves children affected by homelessness. Money will also go to the Great Friends Foundation Scholarship Program that directs money to children with military parents. Great Friends Foundation is a charity organized by XX 1090 radio personalities Scott Kaplan and Billy Ray Smith, of which Cannon is a member of the Board of Directors.
The swim will begin at midnight on August 5, and Cannon is expected to reach Rancho Palos Verdes nine to fourteen hours later. His attempt will be officially sanctioned by the Catalina Channel Swimming Federation, who will impose some restrictions on the swimmer. While in the water, he will not be allowed to make supporting contact with any person or object, nor will he be allowed to wear a wetsuit in waters as low as 60 degrees, as it could aid flotation.
More like this:
- Palo Verde Canyon and the Moly Mine — April 11, 2012
- End of Summer Issue. Two Weeks Until Lingerie Football Kicks Off. — Aug. 10, 2011
- Swimmer Guy — July 27, 2011
- View Catalina Island and 150 degrees of ocean horizon from the top of the Palos Verdes peninsula. — Jan. 24, 2002
- Against the Current: Florence Chadwick in and out of the water — June 17, 1982