• Scam Diego alerts

Superior Court Judge John S. Meyer today (Oct. 19) turned down the City's attempt to block an open records request by Channel 10. The judge will permit the TV station to use the videotape of the deposition of Mayor Jerry Sanders in the Scott Kessler v. City of San Diego case. Also, Judge Meyers accepted the second amended complaint of Kessler, who was fired when the City learned that he had cooperated with the FBI and a San Diego Police detective in their investigation of alleged fraud by Little Italy political powerhouse Marco Li Mandri and his friend, convicted felon Paul (Joe) Mannino. (Despite the thoroughness of the investigation, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis refused to prosecute.) Earlier, the judge had ruled tentatively that the trial should go forward; the City was trying to get him to throw it out. Now, the City is making motions that delay the case, says Josh Gruenberg, attorney for Kessler. Doing so, the City is wasting money, says Gruenberg. "It is an effort to delay the inevitable, a trial on the merits," he says. I could not reach J.W. August, managing editor of 10 News.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Oct. 19, 2010 @ 6:18 p.m.

Wow, this is going to be "Must See TV"!

Burwell Oct. 19, 2010 @ 7:21 p.m.

I hope Channel 10 puts the entire tape on You Tube, and not just edited snippets.

David Dodd Oct. 19, 2010 @ 7:44 p.m.

sniff

Smell that? Smells like settlement.

Don Bauder Oct. 19, 2010 @ 10:10 p.m.

Response to post #1: Agreed -- must see. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Oct. 19, 2010 @ 10:13 p.m.

Response to post #2: Me, too. I haven't talked with JW August yet, although I have traded some emails with him. I hope he does that. Sanders won't be asked about the Genovese connection and Mannino, however. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Oct. 19, 2010 @ 10:15 p.m.

Response to post #3: The council met in closed session on this topic today (Oct. 19). My guess is that the matter of a settlement came up. I would much rather see it go to trial. Best, Don Bauder

a2zresource Oct. 19, 2010 @ 11:02 p.m.

This could explain the mayoral no-show at at the Clairemont High School community forum. I'd be in hiding too.

Remind me to tell you about I once left for DC hoping nobody would notice I was gone, but when I got back, my picture was in everyone's mail box.

Don Bauder Oct. 20, 2010 @ 6:39 a.m.

Response to post #7: It could be perfectly explicable: e.g. he might have been caught in the rain. On the other hand, he may have feared tough questioning because of the the late-night, secret Sacramento rape of the public that he was instrumental in plotting. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Oct. 20, 2010 @ 6:12 p.m.

Hey Don, Im so intrigued w/ this case. tell me is the FBI still investigating it? Seriously this mayor needs to be in prison. I hope more people step forward.

Don Bauder Oct. 20, 2010 @ 9:08 p.m.

Response to post #9: The information that Mel Shapiro FOIAd indicates that the investigation of Li Mandri/Mannino is still open. However, it is my understanding that it is not. Sometimes the info you get on a FOIA is out of date. Best, Don Bauder