• Scam Diego alerts

Tonight (Nov. 10) at 11 p.m., Channel 10 will air videotape portions of the deposition of Mayor Jerry Sanders in the Kessler vs. San Diego case. On Oct. 19, Superior Court Judge John S. Meyer turned down the City's attempt to block the airing of the videotape. That's why Channel 10 is promoting the video that Sanders's "lawyers did not want you to see." Kessler says that he was fired by the City after cooperating with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a San Diego police detective in an exhaustive study of alleged corruption by Little Italy powerhouse Marco Li Mandri and his friend, felon Paul (Joe) Mannino, who was convicted in the early 1980s of violation of federal drug, firearms, and racketeering laws, and went to prison. Civic activist Mel Shapiro under the Freedom of Information Act sought more information from the FBI. The initials used for the New York investigation were OC/DI. Former FBI officials say that means "organized crime/drug investigation." Another line said "LCN-Genovese." The former FBI officials say that LCN stands for La Cosa Nostra, or Mafia, and Genovese stands for New York's Genovese crime family, one of the nation's largest. Although the FBI/police report on Li Mandri and Mannino was thoroughly researched, District Attorney Bonnie Dumanis did not prosecute the case.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 10, 2010 @ 6:07 p.m.

Hahahahaha.....

I have had to do a video taped deposition before, and my worst nightmare was it showing up in public, ala Bill Clinton.

KFC Sanders must be hiding in shame tonight........

a2zresource Nov. 10, 2010 @ 6:29 p.m.

MUST SEE TV.

I am biting my lower lip to stop from... Bwahahahahahaha....

sigh

The DVR is set to record...

Visduh Nov. 10, 2010 @ 7:50 p.m.

The best response in a deposition is "I don't remember." Who is to say you do remember? The amount of failure to recall and the overall demeanor of the fat-boy mayor will tell a story. One can only hope that a big slice of SD voters see this. If they have any doubts about their "Mare", those will be set to rest. That is, their doubts will be confirmed. Sadly, most of the electorate will be snoozing their way into tomorrow's holiday.

That holiday is Veterans Day. Honor them.

a2zresource Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:09 p.m.

This veteran last fired three volleys over an open grave site at Arlington National Cemetery over three decades ago, and Don Bauder has my full attention. He has his critics, but I honor a man who is a living embodiment of the First Amendment.

A collection of oldies but goodies...

Judge Permits Channel 10 to Use Videotape of Sanders Deposition in Kessler Case

A Family (Genovese) Affair?

Tentative Ruling: Judge Won't Throw Out Kessler Suit

City Wants Kessler Suit Thrown Out

Little Italy Association Recommended for Parking Contract

Judge Confirms Ruling; Sanders Must Give Deposition

Tentative Ruling: Sanders Must Give Deposition

City Trying to Block Deposition of Sanders

What a Tangled Web We Weave

Too Much Conflict, Too Much Interest

La Jolla Officials Get Advice from Li Mandri

Did Sanders Order Detective Reprimanded?

La Madrid, Others, Charged Criminally for $30 Million Fraud Case

And something extra -- The HUD Inspector General's audit of San Diego community block grants mentioned in Kessler's whistle-blower complaint:

historymatters Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:23 p.m.

Don, what do you do when you have a District Attorney that is corrupt? I keep seeing all this major major evidence of corruption, then the FBI lays it on Dumanis' desk and it disappears. She is plenty busy prosecuting people w/ medical marijuana licenses, but wont spend 1 second prosecuting white collar crime.

And as I look around the internet, this appears to be a theme, DAs that wont prosecute white collar crime. seems like a great strategy to me, make sure the DA you put in office to prosecute corruption is the most corrupt of all.

Obviously the mayor knows this which explains his arrogance. He is thinking "ha ha you guys will never catch me, Ive got all my ducks lined up. Even if you do find evidence, my pal Bonnie will never prosecute'"

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:30 p.m.

================================ I have been seeing corruption at all levels of the federal judiciary within the last few years. Is it large scale??? I think when it reaches the upper levels of the judiciary you can say YES, it is large scale.

It is really amazing to see corruption at the federal level-in federal courts. I would not blink twice at a local state judge being corrupt, or our illustrious DA being corrupt, but when it hits the federal level I think you have big problems.

We need to pray for this country, to get it's moral footing back.

a2zresource Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:32 p.m.

My error on including the La Madrid story in the above list (probably from going cross-eyed), but who knows? Maybe the mayor will connect the dots for us under oath...

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:34 p.m.

Response to post #1: Yeah, but Clinton had such a titillating subject of the depo. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:35 p.m.

Response to post #2:I just hope they show the best parts. Incidentally, I have not seen a transcript of the mayor's depo. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:38 p.m.

Response to post #3: One time a lawyer said to me, regarding his colleagues in the law, "When a lawyer says he doesn't remember, it means he is lying." Of course, the mayor isn't a lawyer. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:41 p.m.

Response to post #4: Wow! You keep better track of what I have written than I do. When you said you had fired your weapon over a gravesite, then mentioned my name, I wondered if you had been shooting at me. Then I read your statement more carefully. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:45 p.m.

Response to post #5: The DA won't prosecute anybody who is in the establishment, is a donor, is close to the mayor and his entourage. She is the most political DA San Diego has had in decades, if not ever. And yet she runs with no opposition. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:47 p.m.

Response to post #6: Pray to punish those who prey? Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 10, 2010 @ 8:49 p.m.

Response to post #7: You had me fooled. I didn't catch it. Best, Don Bauder

historymatters Nov. 10, 2010 @ 10:06 p.m.

so what would or should happen if say it was just Dumanis that was corrupt and not the feds? Should the FBI step in and conduct the investigation rather than leaving it up to Bonnie?

I keep hoping the FBI will swoop in and haul everyone off to jail especially Sanders. They obviously have more than enough to arrest him along w/ all the other crooks at the City. Even just the TAC mtg minutes I sent you show that the mayor has a committee composed of lobbyists that regularly advises him on issues that financially benefit them, yet there seems to be no one that will enforce the law.

Is the FBI not doing their job? or do they have to wait for Bonnie to prosecute before they can step in?

historymatters Nov. 10, 2010 @ 10:13 p.m.

This of course is not even to mention Bonnie's utterly incompetent job prosecuting murders. I was watching a Primetime story on NBC several months ago. It was a murder mystery here in SD and the story ended w/ Dumanis flubbing all the evidence and the murderer going free. She seems to do this alot. I really feel sorry for those people.

I really hope Mike Aguirre swoops in as a private citizen and goes after some of this corruption. I cannot believe we live in a world where Toni Atkins is not only NOT in jail for her role in the pension scam not to mention the millions she gave away to her developer girlfirned jennifer LeSar for "redevelopment" projects, but she was actually elected to State Assembly along w/ Ben Hueso. God help us!

historymatters Nov. 10, 2010 @ 11:39 p.m.

Pretty weak investigative reporting by channel 10. I was hoping they would impress me for once. They did not ask any real questions. They seemed to apathetically accept the city's response that the case was "baseless" rather than hitting on the fact that the FBI recommended prosecution for fraud, bribery etc.

They really let the mayor off the hook w/ those clips. Does anyone else have access to the testimony beside news 10?

The news media here is just beyond incompetent. That was supposed to be "investigative reporting"? Good lord the City constantly throws softballs out there for the media to dive into and they never do. Not a single television media source reported on the recent story about the registrar of voters intentionally misleading people into thinking they were ineligible to vote. Only CityBeat and the OB Rag covered it.

a2zresource Nov. 11, 2010 @ 12:09 a.m.

RE #17:

I assume that the station did not want to show so much that it might be a problem for jury selection later. At the same time, evasion is in the eye of the beholder.

SurfPuppy619 Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:22 a.m.

SD Leaders Apologize For Secret Political Deal

SAN DIEGO -- Mayor Jerry Sanders and Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher admitted Monday that the public should have been informed about a late-night political deal that could secure billions of dollars for local projects.

. http://www.10news.com/investigations/25422728/detail.html .

These CLOWNS are killing us, all of us, with their fraud.

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:24 a.m.

Response to post #15: The FBI did conduct the investigation, along with a San Diego police detective. The FBI doesn't prosecute. Either the DA or U.S. attorney does. This case was given to the DA who, hardly surprisingly, did not want to prosecute a case that would embarrass a political ally. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:30 a.m.

Response to post #16: Blame the mainstream media. The U-T, along with other mainstream media, smeared Aguirre out of office. Admittedly, he made some mistakes, but he was the only one chasing the deeply inculcated San Diego corruption that is a major factor in the City's insolvency. Same story with the politician you mentioned. The mainstream media failed. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:33 a.m.

Response to post #17: I saw Channel 10's lead-in, which admittedly was extremely soft (Mob-connected Joe Mannino called a businessman, e.g.). My computer couldn't come up with the mayor being questioned. Remember, the judge limited the questioning. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:35 a.m.

Response to post #18: That may have been the reason for the gentle handling. JW August, Channel 10's managing editor, is good, I know from personal experience. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:37 a.m.

Response to post #19: Blame the mainstream media and the voters who don't pay attention to the corruption that is so deeply inculcated in San Diego politics, business, and labor. Best, Don Bauder

HonestGovernment Nov. 11, 2010 @ 7:52 a.m.

17, "Riiiiiiiiing"

Agree, it was just a terrible, embarrassingly amateurish report by the local ABC news team ...but you got it give it to'em, they provided a nifty ring-tone for the line "then his phone started ringing." As you know, I'm hoping they ALL go down, plaintiff and defendants, and Mr. Wrongful Termination is exposed for going along with the crookery until it looked like he had an opportunity to get even for being left out of the powerseat. That blew up on him, and anyone who saw him on ABC last night should figure out why: he is not too bright. I mean come on...both he and his lawyer spoke incoherently, ungrammatically, and whined. They seem well-matched. I might point out, Don, that Mr. Wrongful Termination is one of those government workers who came aboard in 2006, as mentioned in your great article on the 2006 economy and government pay vs. private pay. His government salary was more than he was worth, more than he could have ever earned in a competitive private-sector job. And far less than his former buddy was raking in in the privatized-tax assessment business.

How many fond fools serve mad jealousy? The Comedy of Errors (2.1.116)

HonestGovernment Nov. 11, 2010 @ 8:13 a.m.

Or maybe this is the best quote for Mr. WT, substituting "Mayor" for Shakespeare's "Moor":

For that I do suspect the lusty Mayor Hath leap'd into my seat; the thought whereof Doth, like a poisonous mineral, gnaw my inwards; And nothing can or shall content my soul Till I am even'd with him, wife for wife, Or failing so, yet that I put the Mayor At least into a jealousy so strong That judgment cannot cure.

Othello (2.1.315-22)

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 9:28 a.m.

Response to post #25: Had I thought Kessler and his lawyer Josh Gruenberg were shady I would not have pursued this matter since March of this year. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 9:31 a.m.

Response to post #26: Where's Iago in all this? And which character best typifies Iago? Best, Don Bauder

BlueSouthPark Nov. 11, 2010 @ 9:43 a.m.

I understand that you don't think that, Don, and I have great respect for you as a totally honest journalist and reporter. You are the best. You see this case as a single issue. I don't. "Shady" isn't so much the problem with Mr. WT; it's more about his incompetence; greed; willingness to play the game, to be a sycophant, to screw over people, and to use the system to benefit himself and his friends; and jealousy. All playing out inside a system that encourages all of those attributes, until they become a reason for the strongest players to weed out the poorest players.

Keep up the good work. I know you hate for me to comment on this subject, but I'm uncontrollable...sorry.

a2zresource Nov. 12, 2010 @ 9:46 a.m.

From education and recent experience, I understand how constraining it is to bring a matter to hearing before a Superior Court, especially when the attorneys on the other side are funded by our own monthly utility payments.

You are certainly correct to view these comment threads as a place to mention things that would never make it onto the record in Court. Hopefully, this case AND our discussions here will open the eyes of more people to what has happened to San Diego. Apparently from the ballot results for Proposition D, this eye-opening process is already underway.

Personally, I enjoy reading what you've had to add to the conversation...

Don Bauder Nov. 11, 2010 @ 2:47 p.m.

Response to post #29: I don't hate anybody for disagreeing with me. Indeed, this blog encourages disagreement, with me or anybody else who posts. Disputation is the name of our game here. Neither Kessler nor Gruenberg is perfect. I am not perfect. Nor are you. Best, Don Bauder

a2zresource Nov. 12, 2010 @ 4:57 a.m.

RE "Remember, the judge limited the questioning":

If possible, see the tentative order denying hiz honor's protective order. NO protective order was issued to my knowledge on the tentative, and it's doubtful that there was such a modification to the tentative (as being fairly significant) during the hearing on the following day.

On the unedited video as well as on the written transcript, the City Attorney representative of hiz honor would have had to make an objection IF Kessler's attorney crossed the line by asking a question that could have been answered by taking discovery on some lower level City employee OR was already answered in prior discovery... but then Kessler's attorney would have then likely argued the immediate answer under oath from hiz honor would have been necessary for impeachment purposes? IF all of this transpired, then it could have been enough to temporarily halt the deposition to await the Court's ruling before resuming weeks or months later...

There ought to be a lot of juicy stuff on that tape in KGTV10's possession.

Don Bauder Nov. 12, 2010 @ 6:59 a.m.

Response to post #31: Gruenberg, Kessler's attorney, agreed to limit his questioning before the deposition ever took place. Best, Don Bauder

a2zresource Dec. 6, 2010 @ 4:29 p.m.

CASE STATUS NOTE:

A look at the case register of actions indicates that on December 10, a hearing will be held as to Defendant City of San Diego's demurrer that was filed back on November 5.

Unless I am just plain wrong, the demurrer is an admission by City of San Diego that everything alleged by Kessler is true, except that none of it (in the eyes of the City Attorney) amounts to a cause for legal action. This to me is quite baffling, as the Court has already indicated that Plaintiff has shown enough evidence to hold a trial on the allegations contained in the complaint, of which previous pre-trial decisions of the Court have held to be a whistle-blower suit with all of that legal baggage for our esteemed City Attorney to deal with:

There should be a tentative decision posted on the demurrer by close of business, December 9.