• Scam Diego alerts
<p>TopRetirements.com is out with a list of the 100 most popular retirement towns for 2010. San Diego is listed ninth. It's based on the number of online visits. John Brady, editor of the second edition of "100 Best Retirement Towns" says San Diego has "the most perfect weather in the country." Also, "Its scenery, climate (there are only 10 inches of rain on average per year) and lifestyle (the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Gas Lamp District and Torrey Pines Golf Course) are second to none and appeal to active adults 55-plus," says TopRetirements.com. However, "On the downside, it's expensive and the traffic -- well, it is California." The most popular spot is Asheville, N.C.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

Anon92107 March 3, 2010 @ 1:26 p.m.

Unfortunately Don, the La Jolla GOP culture of Gentlemen’s Agreement hate is back again. And today they have turned UCSD into a KKK cultural haven of racial hatred enabled by the arrogant, indolent and incompetent Chancellor Marye Anne Fox, destroying California's educational advantage of the last century.

But throughout America, as well as in San Diego there has been a major increase in reports of GOP’s paramount culture of KKK type Social Darwinism today.

For instance, over the last week or so senate republicans all hid behind Senator Bunning while he made every effort to block unemployment benefits for Americans in greatest need due to economic betrayals of America during this entire new century, continuing from the era of Bush-Cheney-GOP Autocracy in Washington.

And the new GOP-KKK Tea Party is the American version of Qaeda that is their worst case scenario of Social Darwinism to start this new century.

And San Diego's string of GOP Establishment Puppet-Mayors Golding, Murphy and Sanders use Herbert Spencer as their role model

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 3, 2010 @ 2:08 p.m.

Another nice rant, Anondude, but what does it have to with Bauder's Blog.....anything? It doesn't mention La Jolla, UCSD, Mary Anne Fox, Tea Parties, Tea Baggers, Mayors Golding, Murphy, and Sanders, Herbert Spencer, Bunning, Al Queda, or anything like that. I recommend that you take a walk in Balboa Park, go to the Zoo (look at the panda - it's "SO CUTE!")down a curry - chocolate - mango jello shooter in the Gaslamp, and go play a round of golf in Torrey Pines - watch out for the gophers. Try to stay "ON TOPIC".......it's not that difficult.

"FOOOOORRRRREEEEE!!!!" (FORE - that means my golf ball is going to hit you on the noggin). Methinks it's a Scottish term.

PistolPete March 3, 2010 @ 2:15 p.m.

RETARDS!!!!!!!!!! There. I said it. Sue me. Blow me. I don't give a f*** anymore. Once again, Rocket_J_Squirrel hit the nail on the head! Don't look now, Rocket, but I think Cuddles, AG, SD and the rest of the PC posse is sneaking up behind you to defend Anon92107's bleeding heart, ultra-Liberal rant. :-D

Anon92107 March 3, 2010 @ 2:31 p.m.

Response to posts 2 & 3

Rocket_J_Squirrel admitted on another post:

"I was just released from the "Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company Room" at CMH (County Mental Health - on Rosecrans St.) this morning.."

I can only assume that PistolPete is your roommate.

I used the rhetoric preferred by your TeaBagger culture so that you would understand and it appears to have worked.

David Dodd March 3, 2010 @ 2:56 p.m.

Anon92107: You have an extremely narrow and completely obvious political agenda. It invalidates your coments. GOP sucks and DEMS rule, yes, we get it, thanks for coming, have a nice day.

PistolPete March 3, 2010 @ 3:01 p.m.

In the ever so immortal words of Denis Leary, "...I can't believe I gotta get angry about this s***!!!"

In case you didn't notice, Anon92107, Rocket was telling a little white fib about being released this morning. It's called: A joke.

Visduh March 3, 2010 @ 3:47 p.m.

These rants by Anon, often only tenuously connected to the blog that provoked them, are getting really tiresome. For a while not long ago they seemed to get away from the GOP bashing, but now it is back in full force. Anon conveniently forgets that the crooks running San Diego include many Dems, and that as the political wind shifts away from the GOP, the establishment money will hijack the other party. Tarring the GOP with a KKK brush and with social Darwinism is downright silly. The incidents at UCSD are the product of some bored, overprivileged students, not the KKK. Get real!

David Dodd March 3, 2010 @ 4:44 p.m.

"Tarring the GOP with a KKK brush and with social Darwinism is downright silly."

Yes, agreed. Really, targeting either party is like shooting fish in a barrel. Crappy politicians are crappy politicians, regardless of their affiliation. And the UCSD stuff has come down to a bunch of moronic kids giggling over having pulled a fast one. I think that you take people in power down on their own words, not their party affiliation. Otherwise, we're no better than Germany in 1938.

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 5:11 p.m.

Response to post #1: I'm not sure that San Diego's conspicuous Social Darwinism will deter people from retiring to the area. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 5:13 p.m.

Response to post #2: At the Zoo, be sure to stop and look at the hairy-nosed wombat, a favorite of mine. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 March 3, 2010 @ 5:53 p.m.

Nothing can top Hippo Beach. They are like little ballerinas in that water!

I would like to see Pete jump the fence and go take a dive in with them.....NOW that would be cool!

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:08 p.m.

Response to post 33: You didn't mention SurfPuppy. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:10 p.m.

Response to post #4: Riposte! Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:13 p.m.

Response to post #5: The power of repetition is important. Just look at how many TV ads you are exposed to over and over and over and over and over.....Anon understands that. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:15 p.m.

Response to post #6: That's the risk of making a joke: somebody will take it seriously. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:18 p.m.

Response to post #7: I don't know if there are many social Darwinists left. There are certainly some who believe the creed, but don't describe it with those words. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:25 p.m.

Response to pot #8: Any KKK taint may be harsh, but a racism taint is not. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 6:27 p.m.

Response to post #11: Here's another vote for Hippo Beach. Best, Don Bauder

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 3, 2010 @ 7:05 p.m.

Don Bauder is correctamundo: Hippo Beach rivals Blacks Beach in its magnificent sandy realm - ness. When I left the Rubber Room today, I walked down to the Gaslamp, powered down AT LEAST a dozen curry - chocolate - cola - mango - rosemary - shooters, weaved my way slowly up Sixth to Laurel, and went to the Zoo, saw the Panda exhibit (pandas were snoozing), took the bus up to Torrey Pines, shot a 3 - under par, washed my balls (golf balls), and weaved back home to Frostbite Falls/UC/La Jolla. I thought about how nice the weather was, how expensive San Diego is to live in, and how bad traffic is not - compared to LA i.e. - Lunatic Asylum. I also thought that you couldn't pay me to live in Asheville NC although I'm sure it's a nice place. (ASHeville? - seriously?) NOT ONCE did I think about evil politicians, the KKK, Cheney's Bush, suffering (other than my massive hangover - those shooters are powerful!), Mayors past - present - future, and children starving because their parents made more kids that they could afford. Oh, and don't blame me...........I voted for Obama.

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 3, 2010 @ 7:10 p.m.

The Naked Mole Rat has "pegged the Love Meter" on this squirrel......(swoon!)

SurfPuppy619 March 3, 2010 @ 8:54 p.m.

Rocket_J_Squirrel I LOVE your profile pic!

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 9:17 p.m.

Response to post #19: To down all those shooters and then be a three under par shooter on the golf course is a prodigious feat. Congrats. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 9:18 p.m.

Response to post #20: You're talking above my head here. Maybe I am too old to absorb the allusions. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 3, 2010 @ 9:20 p.m.

Response to post #21: Yes, it's creative. Best, Don Bauder

Fred Williams March 3, 2010 @ 10:15 p.m.

Back to the topic:

Notice there's no mention of either the Chargers or the Padres in the reasons why folks choose to retire in San Diego.

Yet the idiots downtown, when they're not sticking their forked tongues into some developer's large intestine, claim that we MUST give away hundreds of millions of dollars to sports billionaires or the city will fall into the sea.

Even a squirrel has more sense!

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 7:33 a.m.

Response to post #25: Generally speaking, the presence of professional and amateur sports is considered a plus for cities trying to attract retirees. However, the biggest drawback of San Diego as a retirement haven is not mentioned: it's the cost of living. It remains among the highest in the U.S. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering March 4, 2010 @ 8:16 a.m.

Yes the cost of living is high, some may call it stratospheric, but I recall our former Mayor, Governor and U.S. Senator, Pete Wilson intimated it's the Sunshine Tax... And I thought good old Pete was a conservative. Turns out he was taxing us way back when.

Personally I can’t imagine living anywhere else. My career nets me enough moolah to pay my share of “the tax”, and retirement, in the not too distant future looks doable even with the high cost of living in America's Finest City. Others choose to leave for cheaper pastures, as the high cost of living makes it hard to survive. I say fine, more room for those who choose to stay. The great weather with beautiful sunshine, miles of beaches, tiny bikinis, and all the other attraction we have in our little corner of the Country should make San Diego #1 on the list. But number nine is fine with me.

So fellow Reader pundits, is the sunshine tax worth it?

SurfPuppy619 March 4, 2010 @ 8:35 a.m.

Even a squirrel has more sense!

By Fred_Williams

Except for that squirrel residing on top of Jan Goldmans head :)

Visduh March 4, 2010 @ 10:24 a.m.

I guess that the Sunshine Tax, or alternatively being paid in Sunshine Dollars, was worth it. This year marks 40 years in SD county. For some years now AARP Magazine, and Sunset, and some others try to name the ""Ten Best Cities for . . ." Usually the criteria used are murky, and the results range all over the spectrum. But in all of those I've seen in recent years, San Diego has never been mentioned.

Sports teams are one of the positives, because a city needs to offer entertainment. But those who make the selections need to take rotting infrastructure into account, and here that has accompanied corporate and sports welfare.

If San Diego means living in LA Jolla, Point Loma, Coronado, Poway or Point Loma, the living is pleasant, if you can afford those areas of the county. Otherwise, it is probably a place that outsiders should avoid for their retirement.

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 10:39 a.m.

Response to post #27: Yes, JW, but you work for the City of San Diego. Of course you are taken care of. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 10:41 a.m.

Response to post #28: I'm sure you mean Goldsmith. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 10:45 a.m.

Response to post #29: It's also called a rug. Look at my photo under Scam Diego. No squirrel. No rug. (Some would say no brains.) Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 10:47 a.m.

Response to post #30: Corporate and sports welfare doesn't merely ACCOMPANY a rotting infrastructure. It's one of the major causes of it. Best, Don Bauder

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 4, 2010 @ 10:56 a.m.

Sorry Don I shall elaborate - In punk kid's section of the Zoo, there is (was?) a plexiglass-topped table where you could see the "Naked Mole Rats" going about their Naked Mole Rat business - paying off the local N.M.R. officials, talking about building a stadium, screwing, getting stuck in traffic jams, etc. The reason they're called "Naked Mole Rats" is because either they spend all day waxing or shaving off their fur, or MAYBE they were born furless. I think it's the latter.

Sorry- I didn't mean to keep your puzzler puzzling all day to try to figure out my prior (retarded) comment.

p.s. - The Zoo DID sell T-shirts with the likeness of a Naked Mole Rat on the front - which of course, I purchased.

Anon92107 March 4, 2010 @ 12:46 p.m.

Response to post #9:

You're right, the costs of living escalated by San Diego Republican Establishment corruption that you expose almost every day should be enough to keep most retirees from moving here.

Sure looks like I caused a lot of radical right wingers to rise up and defend the corrupt republican establishment against my charge:

"GOP voters are now exposed for all to see as totally subservient to the interests of the richest and most “socially developed” GOP Aristocracy while they promote their 1st GOP Commandment that the poor and the weak must be multiplied, neglected and exploited, forced to fend for themselves even if this means suffering and death, classical Social Darwinism."

Too bad there aren't more voters around to fight back against San Diego Establishment corruption like you do.

But that explains why we have three corrupt Puppet-Mayors in a row with more still to come until Scam Diego sinks into the cesspool of republican corruption.

David Dodd March 4, 2010 @ 1:04 p.m.

You've officially overdosed on the Kool-aid served up by left-wing radicals. The right promises nothing to the poor and gives nothing to the poor; they promise everything to the rich and give nothing to the rich. The left promises everything to the poor and gives nothing to the poor; they promise nothing to the rich and give nothing to the rich. The only difference between the two parties is also a stark similarity: empty promises. Do yourself a favor and read some Buckminster Fuller, and while you're jabbing that misplaced ideological needle in and out of your arm, do me a favor and don't die on my doorstep. Find a big poppy field somewhere in Afghanistan, curl up in the fetal position, and continue to believe that political parties care a rat's behind about you, me, or anyone else until you breathe your last breath, and then go on fertilize the very opium to which you've obviously become addicted.

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 1:18 p.m.

Response to post #35: When someone makes a T shirt with a likeness of a naked mole rat, accompanied by representations of proposals for a convention center expansion, new city hall complex and Chargers stadium, I will buy it and wear it. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 1:23 p.m.

Response to post #36: The social Darwinists said they believed in survival of the fittest. But most were born into superrich families -- they were born "fittest." It's like that joke of George W. Bush being born on third base and thinking he hit a triple. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 1:27 p.m.

Response to post #37: The right gives nothing to the rich? How about the Reagan and George W. Bush tax cuts? How about the huge corporate tax cuts? How about the fact that until recently, the U.S. would not go after the rich dodging taxes by stashing money in offshore banks? I could think of many more examples. Best, Don Bauder

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 4, 2010 @ 1:48 p.m.

Hey Don - If this country is so concerned with fairness and all, how come, the more $$$ you make, the more the Gov. takes? Isn't that "unfair" on the face of it? Why not rob everyone equally - say 15% with no exemptions of any sort? Then, tax me only one time on my income, no matter how meager. DON"T tax me when I save it, or when I invest it, or when I take "The Big Dirt Nap" i.e. - die, and take it from MY FAMILY who probably is going to need it just as much as the non-working tax - receiver families that the Gov is going to give it to.

David Dodd March 4, 2010 @ 1:48 p.m.

To #40:

The right gives nothing to the rich, except promises. Both parties cater to their contributors, we can bring up a number of presidents that aren't Reagan or Bush and I can give you examples of how they paid back large corporations for their support. I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know. In the last decade, world wide, corporate tax is in a downward cycle, which would indicate that this trend is not political in nature, but rather a simple reality of economics.

Offshore banks are not the problem. Big government, with their theft of public funds is the problem. The rich rule the world, Don, and the rich elected Obama, and Clinton, and Carter, and every Democratic President, along with every Republican President. They bet on a winner, they really don't care about the ideology. You can paint any color of lipstick on Miss America that you wish, but it's the same girl, hand-picked by people behind the curtain. We live in Oz, because we're addicted to the poppy fields.

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 2:34 p.m.

Response to post #41: You are talking about the flat tax. This was debated to death about 20 years ago. Personally, I find nothing wrong with a progressive tax code. I think the people who have made a bundle of money in this country should be proud to pay higher taxes, especially since much of their wealth probably resulted from government favors. Also, with a flat tax, the horribly skewed distribution of wealth and income in this country would get even worse: the superrich would get even richer, the poor and middle class poorer, the chance for violence even higher. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 2:40 p.m.

Response to post #42: A lot of countries have had low corporate tax rates for a very long time. It's the same with U.S. states and municipalities: they have been competing to give tax breaks to corporations for many decades. The trend is not new. Best, Don Bauder

David Dodd March 4, 2010 @ 2:56 p.m.

"Also, with a flat tax, the horribly skewed distribution of wealth and income in this country would get even worse: the superrich would get even richer, the poor and middle class poorer, the chance for violence even higher."

Oh, wow. I'm pretty shocked to hear you say this. Care to elaborate? This could be the best debate ever.

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 4, 2010 @ 3:18 p.m.

Don. I consider myself lower middle class. If the Gov lets me have more of my $$ to spend rather than taking it, won't I be better off?

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 7:42 p.m.

Response to post #45: The distribution of wealth and income in the U.S. is now back to the levels of the Gilded Age. A handful of extremely wealthy people get around 23% of the income and control a huge percent of the wealth. Even Alan Greenspan admits that this extreme imbalance could lead to violence. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 4, 2010 @ 7:46 p.m.

Response to post #46: Not when you want services from that government, and it won't be able to provide them. Do you enjoy going to national parks, state parks, local parks? Do you enjoy having water come out of your tap every day? Do you think it's sanitary that you can flush your waste down the toilet? I could go on and on. Yes, governments are corrupt. San Diego is an example. But you have to tally up all things for which you rely upon government. Best, Don Bauder

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 4, 2010 @ 7:55 p.m.

OK Don- I'm willing to pay my taxes for services rendered, but the bill should be distributed fairly. Why should those in the upper echelons of income have to pay a higher price for the same services I as a bottom feeder receive? Fairness and equality is supposed to be principles upon which this country stands. If I enter Cabrillo National Monument in my little Rav4 and pay $5.00, when you go there in your Cadillac Escalade, should you have to pay $50.00?

SurfPuppy619 March 4, 2010 @ 8:18 p.m.

By refriedgringo

Good post refried.

I have said it numerous times here, there is NO difference between Dems and Repubs fiscally (one is borrow and spend, the other is tax and spend), and only slight differences socially.

Both are owned and controlled by special interests, not what is best for the country. That is why I am an Independant.

SurfPuppy619 March 4, 2010 @ 8:22 p.m.

B/c the more you make, the more you own, the more you own the more you have protected by this country and it's defenses.

The DoD is protecting the land and assets of millionaires and billionaires, not the poor who have no assets.

David Dodd March 4, 2010 @ 10:15 p.m.

Yeah, but Don, let's get into the flat tax issue - why is that a bad thing? Seriously, percentage is percentage. I'd be willing to give a flyer to those under the poverty line, but flat tax (with ZERO deductions or deferred income) is a total win!

Don Bauder March 5, 2010 @ 7:03 a.m.

Response to post #49: The bill for a flat tax would be governments going broke. Actually, the U.S. tax code should be even more progressive than it now is. The taxes at the top were cut too severely under Reagan and W. And I have not even gotten into a major problem: the rich have myriad ways to dodge taxes -- and not just stashing overseas. Realistically, both corporations and rich individuals pay low taxes now because they take advantage of all kinds of loopholes. They have sharp (if amoral) accountants and lawyers to help them. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 5, 2010 @ 7:07 a.m.

Response to pot #50:To say that there are not enough differences between Republicans and Democrats is correct. To say there are NO differences is wrong. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 5, 2010 @ 7:11 a.m.

Response to post #51: That's one of many reasons why those at the upper income levels should pay a higher tax rate. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder March 5, 2010 @ 7:17 a.m.

Response to post #52: I don't want to say that anybody contributing to this blog is naive, but I have to say that to you. Suppose there is a flat tax enacted: say, 15% of income. You would pay your 15% and the rich would probably pay zero or close to it. As I have said --and there has been much written on this -- higher income people already have numerous mechanisms to dodge taxes. Do you think they would jettison those tricks just because a flat tax is enacted? Come now. They would sit there and laugh at you. As Leona Helmsley said, "Only the little people pay taxes." You might read books by David Cay Johnston to see the various tricks used by those in upper income brackets. Best, Don Bauder

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 5, 2010 @ 8:31 a.m.

Don by flat tax with NO exemptions I meant to toss the entire IRS Codes out. Make it simple - How much did you make last year? -__ Your tax bill is 15%-___

Yeah, I realize there is money that's never reported. This will continue, but it sure gives Enrolled Agents, tax attorneys, tax preparation companies like H & R Block, etc., a lot more time off.

Who needs them when you know what your tax bill is going to be at the end of the year?

Don Bauder March 5, 2010 @ 9:42 a.m.

Response to post #57: Trouble is, a lot of the tax dodges are not related to exemptions. Early in the history of supply side economics, its proponents argued that if tax rates went down, people would stop dodging taxes. Ha! Do you think somebody who has been not reporting his/her income for years will suddenly start reporting it because the rate is lower? He/she could go to prison for past tax evasion, unless the IRS offers a forgiveness package. Crazy. Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 March 5, 2010 @ 4:07 p.m.

In a word-NO.

Don Bauder March 5, 2010 @ 4:41 p.m.

Response to post #59: Good word: NO. Best, Don Bauder

Rocket_J_Squirrel March 5, 2010 @ 6:17 p.m.

Well, like most squirrels, I guess I'll just go back to watching my nuts.......golly.

Don Bauder March 6, 2010 @ 6:11 a.m.

Response to post #61:You should be carefully guarding those nuts in any case, regardless of your positions on political topics. Best, Don Bauder

carlyt Feb. 26, 2013 @ 5:16 p.m.

Retirement and Good Living just selected San Diego as one of its top retirement locations for 2013 at retirementandgoodliving.com/san-diego/