• Scam Diego alerts

The San Diego County unemployment rate zoomed to 9.3% in March, up from a revised 8.9% in February, and far above the 5.2% of a year ago, according to the California Employment Development Department. The county lost 300 non-farm jobs from February, and 44,600, or 3.4%, from March of 2008. San Diego's unemployment rate tops the nation's unadjusted 9%, but is lower than the state's 11.5%. Employment services, which includes temporary jobs, dropped 300 positions from February. Manufacturing was down 600, but government was up 1,400. Over the last 12 months, construction jobs were down 11,200. Accommodation or tourist industry jobs were down 0.7% from February and down 6.6% from a year ago. Food service jobs were up 0.9% from February but down 2.2% from a year earlier.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

JL April 17, 2009 @ 12:16 p.m.

The "What's He Smoking" item seems to have disappeared from your blog, Don. How come?

JustWondering April 17, 2009 @ 2:47 p.m.

JL is correct.. the blog critical of Mayor Sanders' predictions of a quick economic recovery has met its untimely demised on your blog... Odd since other posts are several months older .... Are you and the Reader being pressure to tow the line????

SurfPuppy619 April 17, 2009 @ 2:54 p.m.

The UE rate is going to go well beyond what it is now-and the fact is with job loss comes property tax losses because housing depends on jobs.

Less property taxes emans more budget pressure on gov., whihc means more problems.

Don Bauder April 17, 2009 @ 2:54 p.m.

Response to post #s1 and 2: There was no pressure, other than my own internal angst. I screwed up. Someone wrote in and said he/she couldn't find some of the numbers I had used. I went back and found out that I had definitely used incorrect numbers. At first, I posted a mea maxima culpa in response. Then I immediately thought that it wasn't enough. There were enough wrong things in there that the whole thing should be taken down. So I requested it be wiped away. To everybody: my apologies. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder April 17, 2009 @ 2:57 p.m.

Response to post #3: There is general agreement among economists that the national unemployment rate will go above 10 percent -- perhaps later this year or next year. If the nation goes over 10, San Diego will go well over 10. Best, Don Bauder

JL April 17, 2009 @ 3:45 p.m.

That's why we love ya, Don -- always a straight shooter! Appreciate the update....

Don Bauder April 17, 2009 @ 9:25 p.m.

Response to post #6: It's best to confess one's sins. Best, Don Bauder

JustWondering April 18, 2009 @ 7:54 a.m.

Response to #7 .

Hey surfdoggy are you listening??

Don Bauder April 18, 2009 @ 12:36 p.m.

Response to post #8: Every once in awhile, I ruminate on whether SurfPuppy and Just Wondering have ever met face to face. And if they have, what happened? Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 April 19, 2009 @ 8:26 a.m.

Response to #7 .

Hey surfdoggy are you listening??

By JustWondering

That's "SurfPuppy" to you, my overpaid, over benefitted gov. friend.

SurfPuppy619 April 19, 2009 @ 8:34 a.m.

By dbauder

The only person who would have a problem face to face would be Fumbler!

JW does not agree with my views so he takes it personally and tries to discredit me instead of the issues-a perfect example is a recent post on Voice of San Diego where JW felt the need to point out my prior handles and then state;

"Don't you ever get tired typing the same old nonsense". Thanks JW! The difference is I do not take this personally, because it is only the interent.

But I would like to meet JF, because no matter how hard I hammer him and push my point of view (which can be pointed at times) he always responds back in a polite, conservative and respectful manner to me. JF is always the polite one. JF is dead wrong in his views on the gov pension issue/s, but he is always respectful to others.

Don Bauder April 19, 2009 @ 10:12 a.m.

Response to post #11: We haven't heard much from JF of late. Maybe he/she can't stand the self-restraint that you laud. Best, Don Bauder

valueinvestingisdead April 19, 2009 @ 10:28 p.m.

Real Estate is going to plunge way further given that there are no jobs in San Diego. Biowreck is moving to India in droves where PhD Scientists can be had for $12,000 a year. Construction is done. Tourism is super bad. Ask anyone with a rental in Solana Beach or Del Mar. You cannot rent the darn thing. Finance jobs are gone. The city is in danger of becoming a Third World Country with illegals and the mega wealthy. Really no place to live. Yeah the weather is nice blah blah blah but the place wears on you with the smog, high cost of living, rushed mentality and me me me culture.

Don Bauder April 20, 2009 @ 7:16 a.m.

Response to post #13: I do believe that real estate is not done plunging. Nor is the unemployment rate done rising. San Diego's will go well over 10 percent. San Diego was too reliant on real estate, falling for liar and exotic loans, etc. Real estate prices soared more than in other major metro areas, and now have plunged more -- 40%-plus from the peak. Yes, biotech jobs are going to low-wage nations, but biotech jobs have always been overrated. They have long been less than 2% of total employment. Tourism is in a tailspin and it doesn't provide many high-paying jobs in any case. Construction is a disaster. Telecom may come out OK. Not a pretty scene. Best, Don Bauder

bluenwhitegokart April 20, 2009 @ 8:35 a.m.

Response to post #14: Don, you're a "nattering nabob of negativity."

Sorry, just had to go there on account of my being stationed in Maryland for the forseeable future. That's a clue as to who actually uttered the above phrase, for those of you who are playing along at home for the "no prize."

Keep up the good work, Don.

Don Bauder April 20, 2009 @ 10:45 a.m.

Response to post #15: The trouble with Agnew's alliteration (written by his speechwriter, who went on to write a column for the NY Times), is that the word "nabob," a viceroy or very rich person, does not apply to the workaday journalists Agnew was attacking. As for me, how about this: "fulminating forecaster of future affliction." Best, Don Bauder

SurfPuppy619 April 20, 2009 @ 9:39 p.m.

Agnew huh-I was going to guess Fumbler!