Brandon Hernández 8 a.m., March 6
Real Estate, Nightclub Developers Solicit Sanders Donations. Surprised?
Real estate developers continue to beg their fellow builders to give money to Mayor Jerry Sanders in his bid for reelection June 3. Consider Mark McMillin, chief executive of Corky McMillin Companies. This is the company that after giving heavily to local pols, got the land for Liberty Station for almost nothing, then built residences and reneged on some promises to provide civic-oriented structures. McMillin wrote to other builders, "The Corky McMillin Companies and the San Diego Building Industry Association are supporting San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders's reelection. In a final push before the June 3rd primary, I am trying extremely hard to raise funds for his campaign." He asked for a personal check of $50, $100 or $320. "Giving Jerry Sanders another four years in office is vital to San Diego [and] the building industry." In another solicitation, EnDev Enterprises told fellow tavern owners that Sanders "has been helpful to bars and restaurants in San Diego." Contributions should be $320 per person or $640 per couple. Among several things, EnDev runs Ciro's Pizzeria and the adjoining Side Bar in the Gaslamp.
More like this:
- Del Cerro Democrat gives big to Alvarez; McMillins kick in for Fletcher — Sept. 18, 2013
- McMillins Give Big to Local Politicos — Jan. 31, 2012
- Realtors Hold Post-Election Fundraiser To Help Mayor Sanders Pay Back His Debt — June 11, 2008
- June '08 Primary Money, Round-One — Aug. 1, 2007
- Octopus Devours Chula Vista — Oct. 10, 2002