• Scam Diego alerts

On June 9, the city council will consider appointing Jim Waring, the former real estate czar for Mayor Sanders, to the Housing Commission. San Diegans are protesting. Waring was the one who fretted about Sunroad's possible loss of money when the company wanted to construct a tall building too close to Montgomery Field. The Federal Aviation Administration complained, but Waring, along with Mayor Sanders, championed Sunroad -- until they finally had to give in. (Sunroad's chief executive was a big donor to Sanders.) Katheryn Rhodes, Point Loma activist, says that Waring was one who permitted the Navy Broadway Complex developer, Doug Manchester, not turn in a valid earthquake fault investigation. Waring also favored the original affordable housing density bonus that had a loophole opening the door to violation of the 30-foot height limit. "Waring's policy decisions have cost the City of San Diego multi-millions of dollars," says Rhodes. He does not belong on the commission, she says.

• Scam Diego alerts

Comments

SurfPuppy619 June 4, 2009 @ 7:53 p.m.

How these dirty, less than honest, not an ethical bone in their body clowns keep getting recycled through gov emplopyment just goes to show how only the "connected" few are a part of the upper levels-actually all levels- of Gov.

If Waring keeps getting "connected" gov jobs we might have to refer to him as Alan Bersin Jr.

Visduh June 4, 2009 @ 8:43 p.m.

Rhodes says he does not belong on the commission. Since she's right, that virtually guarantees he will be appointed. The entire SD city government is larded with people who do not belong in their jobs and positions. So his appointment is totally consistent with the qualifications of most others.

San Diego is on the cutting edge of many things, and recycling is just one of those. We recycle aluminum cans, glass bottles, plastic bottles, newspapers, cardboard and . . . failure. Bersin can be counted on to fail in anything he tackles, which is what most of those wanted. So, why go out looking for a new failure--who might surprise with success--when you can go for the tried and true failures such as Alan? Waring is just the newest recyclable failure. Only he's also crooked. Even better.

Don Bauder June 4, 2009 @ 9:14 p.m.

Response to post #1: You would think after Mayor Sanders gave him the boot last time around, he would be reluctant to go back into government. On the other hand, San Diego is a quintessential corporate welfare town; if you want to get the inside dope, and some taxpayer loot, get a government job. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 4, 2009 @ 9:18 p.m.

Response to post #2: Waring certainly has a shabby record. He has been a complete tool of the real estate development industry, and has made dubious investments himself. So he's wanted back in government. In San Diego, someone with such a record is eminently qualified. Best, Don Bauder

monaghan June 4, 2009 @ 10:04 p.m.

The next thing you know, Waring will bring back Marcela Escobar-Eck of Sunroad fame. She has been posting lately in the online voiceofsandiego as if she'd never been fired. You have to admire everybody's unmitigated gall.

SurfPuppy619 June 4, 2009 @ 10:15 p.m.

By monaghan

LOL!!

Escobar-Eck was also posting, using her own name, over on the UT a few months back.

I will give her credit for using her real name and sticking to her guns. Have to admire that kind of backbone from anyone.

Don Bauder June 5, 2009 @ 7:03 a.m.

Response to post #5: Escobar-Eck? Goodness. She has been carrying water for real estate developers for years. Looks like they want her back in an official position. Best, Don Bauder

Don Bauder June 5, 2009 @ 7:06 a.m.

Response to post #6: Of course, you can't assume that someone who posts on a website is angling to get a government post. Best, Don Bauder

JakeSD June 5, 2009 @ 9:55 a.m.

Don, who nominates him for that appointment? I'd like to know who is backing him, besides Sanders.

Waring is a hack who will be the developer's lapdog.

Don Bauder June 5, 2009 @ 11:54 a.m.

Response to post #9: You know, I don't know who put his name in the hopper. Might have been Sanders -- perhaps a councilmember. Best, Don Bauder

JakeSD June 5, 2009 @ 4:34 p.m.

Don,

The SDBJ is reporting he was "named" Housing Commissioner. Does this mean City Council still have to approve/confirm the appointment?

U-T hasnt said boo about it yet.

Don Bauder June 5, 2009 @ 8:48 p.m.

Response to post #11: City council will consider his nomination Tuesday, June 9. Apparently, Waring was nominated by Mayor Jerry Sanders. That's not a surprise. They were partners in sleaze on Sunroad. Best, Don Bauder

JakeSD June 8, 2009 @ 9:50 a.m.

If this City Council has any ethics (to be determined), they will slam him back.

Could be interesting litmus on the new "reform" council.

Don Bauder June 8, 2009 @ 12:05 p.m.

Response to post #13: Yes, Waring's nomination could be a litmus test. Actually, council should take the opportunity to question Sanders about the whole Sunroad mess and Waring's role in it. Best, Don Bauder

mescobareck July 9, 2009 @ 1:59 a.m.

Oh Don:

For so many years you have used your “I am a reporter” shield to chide me! Not ONCE have you ever bothered to actually talk to me! Are you scared of the truth? In all of the articles that you ran your silly and uninformed opinions... you never bothered with that little thing that reporters should do.... "Fact Checking!"

So let me start by saying…. I am in the book! I always have been. I have never been one to shy away from speaking to folks who are willing to take the time to ask questions and listen!

Please call me if for once in your 20 years of bashing me you actually wish to speak with me or check your facts! If that is too difficult for you, then please e-mail me your questions. I will do my best to actually answer something that you do not speculate. I will actually even give you facts to back up the answers. I know that is a novel concept for you.

So yes dear Don…. I am coming out. I have never had a problem with a worthy adversary…. But a chicken s—t who never bothers to check his facts, yes, I have a problem with that! The lovely thing about not being in government anymore, I get my vocal cords handed back to me!

Perhaps I can help you find your ca---es!

Best, Marcela

Don Bauder July 9, 2009 @ 6:11 a.m.

Response to post #15: All the time you were with the City, the Sanders administration had declared -- publicly -- that it would not speak to the Reader. We tried numerous times. Best, Don Bauder