Daniel Powell 5 p.m., Aug. 29
Back to the beer old days
How old are these old beer signs?
Hauling up Broadway, caught these signs in the window of The Beer Co (602 Broadway, downtown, 619-398-0707).
What I wonder is: Have these signs been resurrected from pre-Prohibition days? Because it seems San Diego was pretty famous for our suds back then. Before Prohibition hit in 1920, we boasted 7 breweries and 55 saloons.
Not bad for a town of 112,000 people.
Of course now San Diego is world-famous for its off-the-rails beer-making love affair. The New York Times recently called us the land of surf, sun, and suds. And - get this - it seems we now have over 50 breweries in the county.
Question is, how old are these signs?
More like this:
- Comic-Con Photo Phunnies Day 5 - Sunday — July 21, 2013
- Acoustic in Middletown: Unplugged beer comes to oldest brewery! — Feb. 14, 2013
- Small beer big in TJ — Nov. 29, 2012
- Strong Beer: We Have A Winner… — Nov. 14, 2012
- A further look at the trailer for 21 & Over — Nov. 14, 2012