Don Bauder 2:30 p.m., April 21
Back to the beer old days
How old are these old beer signs?
Hauling up Broadway, caught these signs in the window of The Beer Co (602 Broadway, downtown, 619-398-0707).
What I wonder is: Have these signs been resurrected from pre-Prohibition days? Because it seems San Diego was pretty famous for our suds back then. Before Prohibition hit in 1920, we boasted 7 breweries and 55 saloons.
Not bad for a town of 112,000 people.
Of course now San Diego is world-famous for its off-the-rails beer-making love affair. The New York Times recently called us the land of surf, sun, and suds. And - get this - it seems we now have over 50 breweries in the county.
Question is, how old are these signs?
More like this:
- Comic-Con Photo Phunnies Day 5 - Sunday — July 21, 2013
- Acoustic in Middletown: Unplugged beer comes to oldest brewery! — Feb. 14, 2013
- Small beer big in TJ — Nov. 29, 2012
- Strong Beer: We Have A Winner… — Nov. 14, 2012
- A further look at the trailer for 21 & Over — Nov. 14, 2012