Matthew Lickona 5 p.m., Dec. 9
Starbucks: Summer Wine?
Wine and cheese at Starbucks?
Make that wine and beer and a kind of tapa menu with small plates and savory dishes.
At least in Coronado (Starbucks, 960 Orange Avenue, Coronado, 619-437-8306).
The idea has been in beta testing in Seattle and other locations including Sun Valley Idaho and Portland, Oregon.
The baristas were vague this mawnin’ but said it was definitely coming. The application …
…is up on the window, but objections have to be heard, and the store set up for it, and yes, the baristas trained.
But it sounds like summer could be a good bet. The whole idea has a good ring to it: hot summer nights, a loaf of bread, a glass of wine, a book, an iPad, a cup of joe, and thou… (Carla’s had me reading the Rubayyat of Omar Khayyam).
This is likely to be San Diego’s first. The already profitable store...
The lunchtime line
...would be competing with Café 1134, a block south, and Tartine, a coffee/gourmet food place a mile north on First Street, which both serve food and have wine and beer licenses.
Who’s gonna be next? Starbucks North Park?
More like this:
- Movie Poster Rejects You've Never Seen: Jaws, Batman, Supergirl, more — May 22, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game IV: Catch It! — March 20, 2012
- Promotional Tie-Ins 101 — March 6, 2012
- Unexpected Beatles Art: Fab 4 Turns Up in the Oddest Places — Feb. 11, 2012
- The Title or Trailer Game III: The List is Life — Feb. 2, 2012